Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Augustin
Regular Visitor

ODBC success with info[01004]

Hi,

When I try to import a table, I have this error message :

"DataSource.Error : ODBC: SUCCESS_WITH_INFO [01004] [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver][mysqld-5.5.35-0+wheezy1]
Détails :
DataSourceKind=Odbc
DataSourcePath=dsn="name of my ODBC connector"
OdbcErrors=Table"

Don't understand because I can import the others table of my database without issue...

Do you know how can I fix that ?

Thank you

Sincerely,

Augustin

10 REPLIES 10
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

01004 sounds like a data truncation error. Is this a very large table or is there a very large column definition?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your help !

This is a very large table (42 columns)... and there is a very large column definition too. Is this an issue ? 

When I delete 4 columns type text (don't need this columns, commentary or things like that) it works...

So I can continue my work 🙂

It could be good for you to find the issue ... (because it works with QlikSense Desktop 😉 )

Good continuation !

Sincerely,

Augustin

Glad you could get it worked out! 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

We will fix this class of issue in an upcoming release.

We use batch row fetch with ODBC when it's available, which requires us to know in advance the size of a column in order to allocate a buffer in memory. We've seen that ODBC drivers very commonly return invalid column lengths, which leads us to allocate buffers that are too short to fit the entire column's value. This is why you're getting the error about truncation. We can't ignore the error, otherwise, you'd be getting the wrong data!

The fix will be to use row-by-row fetch by default and possibly add a flag for explicitly enabling batch-fetch when it's known to actually work well. We expect this to be in the May release.

In the meantime, the only work around is to not retrieve those columns.

Tristan St-Cyr

Hello!! i need this reports and i think i dont have a lot columns, Can I get back a version from the server?
while they solve the problem?

I was able to resolve by going back to the previous version of the server. May 2022

Hello tristanstcyr

Was the Issue fixed with the following releases? I use ODBC on a C Application that I created and I still get the Truncation Error.

The C application communicates with a Database to execute queries. If the query is a select statement, it returns the result of the query.

Can you give me some advice?

Hi jaimet561,

This error happens because the data was bound to a buffer that's smaller than the data being retrieved. You can either make the buffers larger or you can retrieve the data in chunks. You should be able to find information on how to do this online. Aside from that, the specifics of how to use ODBC in a C applicaiton are outside the topics on the Power BI forums. I'll concead though the ODBC C API can be dfficult to use...

Tristan

Hello tristanstcyr. Was the Truncation Error fixed with the release you mentioned? I used ODBC in a C appication and I still sometimes get a Truncation Error.

What can be done?

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.