Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

ODBC navigator doesn't show materialized views

I'm trying to pull data into Power BI using an ODBC connection to a Postgres database. When I select my ODBC connection to connect to, the Navigator pops up for me to select tables to load. The list of tables include all the tables and views in my database, but it doesn't include Materialized Views. 

Is there any way to get Materialized Views into Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my research, Power BI is not support Materialized Views currently. Some on had already posted this feature reuqest, pelase refer to the link below to see the details.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17924470-materialized-views-in-postgresql

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my research, Power BI is not support Materialized Views currently. Some on had already posted this feature reuqest, pelase refer to the link below to see the details.
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17924470-materialized-views-in-postgresql

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msftAlthough you are correct that PowerBI does not natively support Materlized views you can edit or create new PowerQueries which will allow you to access the data via the Materlized view.

To do this access the PowerQuery edititor by editing your existing queries and then go to a query you wish to modify to access a Materilized view. You can then "right click" and access the advanced editor where you can then edit the query directly.

See an example below which i modified which is pulling data from a schema reporting which only contains materlized views. I then leave the Kind type on the component import as "Table" and this will allow PoweBI to pull in the data from the Materlized view and treat it like a normal table.

let
Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=demoserver", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
bds_hub_report_Database = Source{[Name="bds_hub",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
public_Schema = bds_hub_report_Database{[Name="reporting",Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
component_Table = public_Schema{[Name="component",Kind="Table"]}[Data]
in
component_Table

There maybe some limitations to this approach and it will not fix the auto import capability within PoweBI but at least it gives you a method of pulling in your data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.