Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Georger2323
Helper I
Helper I

ODBC credentials vs gateway credentials

I would like to ask what 2 questions:
1) What is the difference between the credentials you type on your gateway:

ss6.png

and the credentials you type when setting up the ODBC connection with the database:

ss5.png

Are they the same? If yes, why do I not get any warning message or error indicating that they differ (Because they are indeed different)

My second question is why do I get the following message about my credentials. How did I grant access?

ss3.PNG

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Georger2323 ,

For your first question,

When you add a data source, the credentials is used to connect from the gateway to on-premises data sources

When you set up the ODBC connection with the database, the credential is uesd to connect from Power BI Desktop to ODBC.

You can refer to this post.

For your second question,

The credential has been set after you add a data source.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @Icey for the information.

So when I add a datasource on the gateway, the credentials I write there can be anything I want right? After I've added these credentials, when will I need to type them again?

Also, if I got it correctly, if I add a data source on Power BI Desktop, the credentials I have to write should be the same with the ones I wrote when setting up the ODBC. Is that correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.