Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pthawkes

ODBC connection to Informix - no tables

I have a DSN set up on the machine and I am able to use the DSN to connect via SQL server...the connection allows me to see the tables of the informix DB

With power BI I am using the ODBC option and I connect (using the DSN ) to the server but I am not able to list any tables.

I do not have access to the remote server hosting the informix DB so I need to get this ODBC connection operational

I have run a trace and I have found the following error in one of the "Microsoft.Mashup.Container..."log files

DataMashup.Trace Error: 24579 : 
{"Start":"2020-03-06T18:02:50.1575769Z","Action":"Engine/IO/Odbc/Command/GetTables",
    "ResourceKind":"Odbc","ResourcePath":"dsn=MYDSNNAME","HostProcessId":"7352",
    "CatalogName":"%","SchemaName":"","TableName":"",
    "TableType":"","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.Interop.OdbcException,
     Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage:
      ERROR [IM001] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver]Driver does not support this function.\r\nStackTrace:\n   
      at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.Interop.OdbcUtils.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode)\r\n   
      at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.OdbcService.OdbcEngineConnection.GetMetadataDataReader(Func`2 execute)\r\n   
      at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Odbc.OdbcTracingService.OdbcTracingConnection.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<GetTables>b__0(IHostTrace trace)\r\n   
      at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Common.Tracer.Trace[T](String method, Func`2 func)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.78.5740.1101 (20.02)"
      ,"ActivityId":"59049136-3c2d-45d6-9e06-19cf362bb277","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45","Pid":7588,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0005065"}
5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi pthawkes,

Are you trying to connect to sql server data source via odbc driver? If anything is misunderstood, please tell me.

>>ERROR [IM001] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver]Driver does not support this function.\r\nStackTrace:\n

What is the version of odbc driver and desktop are you using? Would you please try to update it to the latest version? You can check it in the screenshot below:

Use win+R and type ODBCAD32 in it

Untitled picture.png

Where did you create DSN? Please create DSN in System DSN. Here is the similar thread for your reference: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Personal-Gateway-X-On-Premises-Gateway/m-p/70945#M5526

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi Dedmon

Thanks for your response:

No, I am trying to connect to a remote informix database. What I was saying was that I have successully created a linked server in our sql enviroment using a SYSTEM DSN created earlier. I have now downloaded power Bi desktop to the SQL environment and I am trying to use the same SYSTEM DSN to connect power bi to this remote informix instance. The connection is successful - but I do not get a table listing so that I am able to start querying the tables. 

Below is the ODBC Driver I am using to make the connection:

IBM Informix ODBC Driver (64 bit) Version 4.50.00.17629

Hi pthawkes,

I recommend you update the power bi desktop and the ODBC driver to the latest version. You can get the latest version of ODBC driver  from https://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/InformixODBC/InformixODBC.html.

Would you please confirm if the user you map to in the linked server is the same as you used when you connect power bi desktop to informix.

Untitled picture3.png

As a workaround, would you please try to use datasource  connection provided by power bi desktop:

Untitled picture4.png

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks Dedmon

I was trying to avoid using the power bi connector and just use the existing DSN connectivity I already had in place. I have given up trying to make it work and have decided to use the SQL Server Linked server via SSRS to generate the reports I need.

Otherwise thanks for taking the time to help out.

Hi pthawkes,

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.