Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Numeric fields not summed by default

When relating two tables by the year ("Ano"), the numerical fields, like Sales Amount are not added by default.
Instead they are counted, as if they were text fields.

So, when changing this to Sum in the report, I get "Sum of Sales Amount" in the legend instead of just "Sales Amount".

I know this is a detail, but I'm intrigued to find out why this happens.

Also, I'd like to know how can I change the legend to "Sales Amount" instead of "Sum of Sales Amount" in the chart below.

Capturar.JPGCapturar2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I believe you are adding a column straing from your table to your visuals. Because when you do this you have many different options to how you want to display/calculate your number e.g as average, minimum, maximum ect. To avoid this you should calculate your values as measures and hide the origional colums from your table, so your users are not confured and use these instead of your real measures. You should consider the naming policy of you table column since you can't add a measure with a name already given to a column. So if you want a measure called 'Vendas e servicos prestados' you should rename the column in your table.

You could try this measure:

Vendas e servicos prestados = SUM('Financeiros'[Vendas e servicos pretados])

(sorry I don't have that special spanish (even more sorry if it's not spanish - I ment no offence) char)

/sdjensen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I believe you are adding a column straing from your table to your visuals. Because when you do this you have many different options to how you want to display/calculate your number e.g as average, minimum, maximum ect. To avoid this you should calculate your values as measures and hide the origional colums from your table, so your users are not confured and use these instead of your real measures. You should consider the naming policy of you table column since you can't add a measure with a name already given to a column. So if you want a measure called 'Vendas e servicos prestados' you should rename the column in your table.

You could try this measure:

Vendas e servicos prestados = SUM('Financeiros'[Vendas e servicos pretados])

(sorry I don't have that special spanish (even more sorry if it's not spanish - I ment no offence) char)

/sdjensen
webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Lol, it's Portuguese 🙂 it's a lot more beautiful, especially when it's sung.

Thanks for your help, I've also figured out that if I replace the year by a date, say 2007 by 31-12-2007, that column will act as a calendar and the agregation fields will be numeric by default.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.