Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grggmrtn
Post Patron
Post Patron

Number of rows loading from query != number of rows shown in table view

I have what I consider to be a relatively simple query with a lot of data. The source is SQL, and my transformations are limited to loading specific columns from the same table, value filters on the columns, nothing too complicated.

When I push close & load PowerBI applies my changes, and cycles through the number of rows it's loading. It goes up to about 45 million in this report, and it cycles through twice.

However, in the table view afterwards, it's only showing 2.7 million rows.

This is the first time I've seen such a discrepancy. Does anyone have any idea why the difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @grggmrtn ,

I had understanded what you mean, about your problem, I think this involves the compression mechanism of the original data by Power BI.

You can refer to the articles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/import-modeling-data-reduction 

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2449192 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@grggmrtn,

Can you show your M code in "Advanced Editor"?

o8.PNG

Best Regards,
Lionel Chen

It's over 400 lines and in Danish - you sure you want to see it?

Hi @grggmrtn ,

I had understanded what you mean, about your problem, I think this involves the compression mechanism of the original data by Power BI.

You can refer to the articles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/import-modeling-data-reduction 

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2449192 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This looks like exactly the information I need. Thanks for your help @v-lionel-msft !

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, 

Could you possibly do a count rows as the last step in the query and post the result:
image.png

As well as post a picture of the row count once you've loaded:
image.png

The issue should be related to some transformation in the query step but this should shred some more light on it! 

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Hmm, funny. Both "count rows" and the row count in table view are now the same - 2715211

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Go step by step in the transformation stages and do row counts and you should bea ble to identify which step that is resulting in the decrease of rows!

Connect on LinkedIn

I think my question is more about why PowerBI is loading so many, if the end result is so much smaller, and why it's cycling twice?

Anmærkning 2020-01-08 082626.png

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I honestly I'm not quite sure. My guess is that it has to do with the way the transformations are structrued but Im really not good enough at PowerQuery to give you a good answer. I'd advice you to create a new post and ask specifically what the "Applying changes" window specifys, how the row count there relates to the amount of actually loaded rows and why it's showing that it's loading the rows twice.

Br,
Johannes

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.