Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wjkmason
Frequent Visitor

Number of Bins not an option in groups

I am trying to make a histogram out of a column chart and therefore need groups of data on the x-axis.  When I create a new group the option to select bin size or number of bins does not exist, I only see Bin Size.  Is this something the PowerBI team has removed. 

Have seen several videos on youtube with the option for number of bins active.

Thanks for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wjkmason ,

What version are you using? What format does the column you are using have (number, text)?

As you can see below the two options are available I'm using July version ( 2.83.5894.961 64-bit)

MFelix_0-1596580081450.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix  I am using the same July version you have.

The column format is decimal number.

Hi @wjkmason ,

When opening the bin window do you get an image similar to mine or is it different? do you have the Agregation symbol next to the column you are selecting? If not is because the column can be formated as text.

Can you share a print screen of the window and also of the columns to check. A sample data would be great also.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Here is a screenshot of what I see when creating a new group.  The field "NumericValue" is an aggregated column.

Bins.JPG

@MFelix  forgot to put your name in the last post

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to click directly into the measure you want to group, in the "Fields" section (image below). Then, select new group. If it's in decimal number, it should work correctly and you should have 2 options: in "Bin Type" => Bin Size or Number of Bins

image90.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.