Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MojoGene
Post Patron
Post Patron

Null Values Imported from Excel

I have a fully qualified date table to which I have added a column that contains a decimal number representing the year fraction.  The Excel formula takes an existing "DayOfYear" column and divides by 365. After calculating the results in this manner, I then copied the column and pasted the results as "Values," so in my spreadsheet I have a perfectly normal column of decimal numbers.

When I import this column into the existing date table in Power BI, however, this new column is populated with "null" instead of the data that appear in the spreadsheet.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
JRe5777
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello!

I had a similar problem but in my case I was importing 12 files with the same structure and on one of them there was a column that only cointaned null values on power query.

This was because power query is REALLY case sensitive.

So I had:

11 files with column name = "EXample" (one of them was my "sample file" on "combine&edit")

and

1 file with column name = "Example"
SO
as the names are not exact matches (upper case vs lower case) power query doesn't extract the values

I just had to check that excel file and change the column name to the right one.

I hope it still helps someone!

Regarding this specific problem,  I didn't have any null problems importing.
I still followed this post answers: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Yearfrac-in-Query-editor-does-not-work/td-p/453998Screenshot_42.png

Thanks, this solved this issue I was having.  Renamed all the columns on my spreadsheets and now I get all the data.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What is it's data type?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I switched the data type around and tried everything including text. Nada. I finally deleted the column in the Excel spreadsheet and added a calculated column to the spreadsheet in the PBI Query Editor, which is working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.