Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MEYERITO
Advocate I
Advocate I

November 2021 release : how to add action to button and images?

Hello everyone, 

Just downloaded the latest build from MS and I don't find anymore how to set up a button or an image action (navigate to page, to bookmark etc...). Is it still available?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexanderPrime
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Buttom-action-menu-disappears-in-the-new-Visual-Pane-layout-...

Apparently will be fixed in December Release but their workaround is to disable the preview. 

Woops Microsoft!

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
MarmosspinneBW
Frequent Visitor

Wow.. Thanks for the workaround guys !

scotton
Frequent Visitor

They just forgot to test the core function for a button. lol

MichaelDoig
Advocate I
Advocate I

I've got a workaround for anyone following along, though I recognise now I can disable the new format pane.

The below is specific to creating a "Line" shape as the trigger for bookmark action.

1. Create your lines as you need. Just by inserting a line, not creating a bookmark.
2. Create a bookmark via Buttons > Navigator > Bookmark Navigator
3. Set the shape as rectangle and ensure it is higher in order in the selection pane than your lines.
4. From the Format navigator, expand Bookmarks and set the Bookmark from All to the bookmark you need.
5. Allow deselection and set the deselection bookmark.
6. Expand Style, turn Text and Border off. Set Fill to be 100% transparent.
7. Size your button to be larger in size than your lines.

Away you go. In short, you place a transparent rectangle bookmark over the top of your image you were intending to use as your Bookmark trigger.

I HTH.

rvgfox
Helper II
Helper II

rvgfox_0-1637151314410.png

Joshmachine

Just saw disabliing "New Format Pane" from preview features enables the button action and it still allows "Page Navigator" & "BM Navigator" from Insert->Button.

This might help till Microsoft gets "Action" option back in "New Format Pane"

AlexanderPrime
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Buttom-action-menu-disappears-in-the-new-Visual-Pane-layout-...

Apparently will be fixed in December Release but their workaround is to disable the preview. 

Woops Microsoft!

Please note - I am not affiliated with Microsoft, I'm just an end user like yourself.
Just a regular guy doin' Data Science.

If my post has helped you, please don't forget to thumbs up or click "Accept as solution" if it solved your problem!
rvgfox
Helper II
Helper II

Crazy, now you can't add a button with an action ...

MichaelDoig
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is really poor.

Are we now being limited to only create bookmark navigators? I have very custom approaches for bookmarks - such as popping out a menu on clicking a shape or toggling the view of tablix / column chart. I want to just edit that one shape and set the action. Perhaps I am missing something, but it isn't there after the update. I can't edit my exiting buttons and update their actions. 

Hopefully it is buried somewhere in this Buttons >> Navigator menu.

Joshmachine

I am seeing the same issue. No actions for buttons and shapes. Its a big miss if MS deliberately got rid of it.

andyln33
Frequent Visitor

I can confirm that the "Action" function on a single bookmark button seems to be missing. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MEYERITO , there is placement change in Nov 2021, see if this can help - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-november-2021-feature-summary/#post-17912-_Toc8747...

Not updated for me yet, waiting for auto update to work 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.