Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

November(2017) update cannot connect to data model

Hi,

Since updating desktop to the latest version as of 11/9/2017 I tried to switch data source of one my reports to a test version of the same model. This process has worked well before. However this time, upon switching the live connection to the test model, no data came through and all of my visuals broke.

I have tested on colleagues computers who have not updated and they have confirmed that the test model and report work perfectly.

I have also rolled back to the October update of Power BI and again, everything works perfectly. So we seem to have isolated the problem as being something (at least) to do with the November 2017 update.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? How do I escalate this properly?

Thanks,

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have also experienced this issue when changing data connections after installing the November update. I copied the error and it is very ambiguous

Error Details:
An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException occured.

It broke every visual in the desktop file. Interestingly enough, when I published the file with the broken visuals to the service it worked perfectly in the service. I then saved the broken file and reopened it and my visuals started working again.

Hopefully the above is helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Thanks,

James

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have also experienced this issue when changing data connections after installing the November update. I copied the error and it is very ambiguous

Error Details:
An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException occured.

It broke every visual in the desktop file. Interestingly enough, when I published the file with the broken visuals to the service it worked perfectly in the service. I then saved the broken file and reopened it and my visuals started working again.

Hopefully the above is helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Thanks,

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies guys, that trick with saving and reopening is a useful workaround I'll give it a go. 🙂

I feel like this issue is a bug of sorts and MS need to be informed but I don't know the proper channels, where's the correct place to raise this issue?

Thanks again,

Will

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous,

I posted this on the issue forum and linked back to this post. The mods over there are usually pretty good at responding and getting fixes. Microsoft will also tell you to log a support ticket, in my past experience the support ticket team will do everything possible to say the issue is "by design" or that the developer is doing something wrong so that they don't have to work it. If you want to try that path I hope you get a better experience.

James

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you very much James. I'll heed your warning and do my best to avoid the classic support circle.

Thanks again,

Will

I'd already popped in a support request before seeing this thread and responses so far have been to suggest the workaround identified above, so it would appear that news of this issue has propagated through various channels.

I'm personally finding this workaround a bit hit and miss, depending on the workspace my data models are deployed to - sometimes I can re-point/save/exit/reload without prolems and on some occassions it's managed to completely corrupt my report, although I can sometimes salvage thi sis I publish my model to a different workspace and repeat the workaround. I need to do a little more testing around this scenario and see if I can identify a bit more. 

With the Nov update not being particularly eventful in terms of changes I need and this particular issue being quite prominent in and dirsuptive to our workflow, I'm planning to downgrade to the Oct release once I've provided some more info to my assigned support person and I'm hoping that this one doesn't hang around for too long...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Anonymous
Not applicable

The admins over on the issues forum have confirmed this as an issue and have logged it internally with Microsoft. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Support have confirmed with me that it is scheduled to be fixed in the next update, so presumably early next month.

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Have just re-tested in the recently released Nov update (2.52.4921.682) and the issue seems to be resolved Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent news, thanks very much guys 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, confirmed that the Nov 17th update fixed it on my end.

I had the same issue when updated SSAS data source , but once I saved the file and reopened it, worked fine. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.