Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pratk30
Advocate I
Advocate I

Nov Release Power Bi Desktop

Hi Folks,

I have build some reports from Desktop using SPO list.

Now i have update Power Bi desktop and updating same report(Refresh) getting some error :

Release:
November 2017

Product Version:
2.52.4921.461 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Error Message:
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

Stack Trace:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Can you please help me with this. Do i need to revert back on previous version of Power Bi Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

We just released a QFE for the Desktop November release. Please go to the download center and download the latest. We've also updated the Windows Store app with the fix. Sorry for the trouble. 

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
AC1
Frequent Visitor

Same here.... Can't refresh most of my reports now.. 😞

Due to IT restrictions I have to use the Windows Store Power BI App and hence cannot go back to Oct release.

braybrookj
Helper I
Helper I

Yep, same here.

Only seems to be happening on MySQL connections for me.

It's haapening with reports having SPO list as source.

Happening to me on all existing reports refreshed from SQL Server not using Direct Query.

How could they have missed something this basic?

PG65
Frequent Visitor

Same problem here, but only for reports connecting to multiple servers.

PG65
Frequent Visitor

Did some further research. Was caused by existing appended queries in my case. After removing them from the model and recreating them, the problem was gone. Make sure table and column names are the same afterwards, so reports keep working without changes.

Hope this can be of any help. But the problem remains, an update may never cause this.

arthurcruz
Frequent Visitor

What a nightmare! Or it would be if I have slept last night.

Spent all night fixing crashes with the Nov release and desperately looking for the Oct release file.

And my server is unable to send emails, so no detailed report to their team. Very frustrating.

JamesMW
Regular Visitor

Hi there

Same issue here - upgraded to November release. Then got the Parameter Name: Key value cannot be null error. Cannot refresh my reports.

pxg08680
Resolver III
Resolver III

Capture.PNG

Everyone is facing this issue after the NOV release update. Can anyone tell when this could be resolved..?

Regards,

PXG08680

siddhartha
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting the same issue.

I'm able to refresh individual data tables/queries , however while refreshing all the queries in the dataset show the same error message.

I'm able to refresh the dataset from PowerBI service as well, hence not a bigger bottleneck for me, however is quite an annoying bug, as I need to refresh quite a few queries.

Same Symptoms here!!

Cannot update... 

Unexpected error...

Value cannot be null

Parameter name key

mattmc
Regular Visitor

I am also getting the same error:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2017-11-08T20:49:57.5695574Z

Local Time:
2017-11-08T12:49:57.5695574-08:00

Release:
November 2017

Product Version:

Error Message:
Value cannot be null.

Stack Trace:

Server stack trace:
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentNullException(ExceptionArgument argument)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.EditTableInfoVisitor.<GenerateTableDefinitionChanges>d__9e.MoveNext()
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.EditExistingTable(ITableInput loadInput, EditTableInfo editTableInfo, FinalNameResults finalNamesResult)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.ApplyQuerySchemaToModel(IModelInput modelInput, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.ApplyQueriesToModel(IAnalysisServicesLoadContext loadContext, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, Boolean& runRelationshipDetection, List`1& newTableColumnPairs)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.ProcessLoadInputs(IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass9.<PerformLoadInternal>b__7(IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.<>c__DisplayClassf.<RunExtendedModelChangeAsync>b__e()
at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnpackException(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoadInternal(Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoad(Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass1.<LoadTablesAsync>b__0(Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.15063.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 460798]

Peak Virtual Memory:
33.8 GB

Private Memory:
415 MB

Peak Working Set:
545 MB

IE Version:

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: False.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the same issue on an imported model. Worked fine in October release now getting error:

Release:
November 2017

Product Version:

Error Message:
Value cannot be null.

Stack Trace:

jdb1974

I am having the same issue since installing the November update, but not with all .pbix files.

mikebrunak
Frequent Visitor

FYI: I have a backup copy of the October PowerBI Desktop file that I am restoring until the bug is addressed.

I did the same and it works.  I guess we need to wait for a solution as I can not be dependent on this OCT release . This report will be published in DEC and i'll handover it to support team. so if they raise same issue then it would be a trouble.

mikebrunak
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Same issue here - upgraded to November release. Then got the Parameter Name: Key value cannot be null error.

r_puffette
Regular Visitor

Hi there,

I have the same issue with the November update.   Any help would be appreciated.

Seems to be on "imported data" rather than "direct query" for me.

Thanks

Richard

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.