Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MaximeMunger
Regular Visitor

Notification windows not showing - Blocking PBI Desktop

Good day everyone,

I started having this problem two days ago for unkown reasons.

Whenever Power BI tries to open a new window (pop-up or notification, -the type that shows up when you click the Get Data and choose SQL Server button for example, or the Enter Data button-), the window does not show up, and blocks the entire software. Clicking results in windows "Ding" sound, and the only way to close PowerBI Desktop is to kill it through Task Manager.

Reinstalling the software, even after clearing all traces, did not resolve the issue. I suspect another software might be interfering and causing this.

Has anyone ever had such a problem and was able to solve it?

Using Windows7, PowerBI 2.37.4464.361 64-bit on an HP 640 G2.

5 REPLIES 5
gwhiteman
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue with Tabuler model as daasource so it is not memmory. Strange this is that it happening to one report but not another one. Noth are connected to the same datasource. I am using Sept 2023 PBI (frustrating). We also use Power BI Desktop for Reporting Services so maybe that has corrupted something.

Florisz

Sorry for bumping such an old toppic. I don't see an answer. And today I think I ran into the same problem after more than 7 years...😥😥😥😥
After clicking datasource(in my case Dataverse) the popup just does not want to show. There is no way to get it on top or it just does not want to load, but blocks the entire PowerBI Desktop window. Only resolution is to kill the app. Resources enough!

Florisz_0-1697192215127.png

Running processes under PowerBI Desktop:

Florisz_1-1697192403952.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MaximeMunger,

Please use Process Monitor to check what is going on when opening new windows in Power BI Desktop. In addition, make sure that there is enough memory available for Power BI Desktop to run on your machine.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am experiencing the same error.  I suspected that that there was a configuration setting that was forcing the window to open off screen.  I uninstalled Power BI Desktop, removed the folders C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop and C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop, and then reinstalled.  Same behavior.  I captured a Process Monitor trace surrounding the action to Connect to a SQL Server Analsysis Services data source.  Where do I send the .PML file?

I have plenty of real memory - I don't think that is a problem.  The error occurs when there is no data in the model or previous data connections.

Connecting to File type data sources seems to work fine - the Open dialog is visible.  The window for connecting to both SQL Server and Analysis Services data sources is not visible and locks Power BI Desktop with a ding as described by @MaximeMunger.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, 8GB, Power BI Desktop Version: 2.37.4464.461 64-bit (July, 2016)

Bump.  

Does anyone have any ideas on why the modal window that is used to set up a SQL data connection is not visible? It seems like the window is opening, but just not visible.  The main Power BI application window behaves like a modal dialog is open because it dings when clicked.  I am dead in the water since I have not been able to connect to SQL data sources.  I can open existing .pbix files and connect to text files. Uninstall/Install of Power BI Desktop with clearing the AppData files between does not change the behavior.  

The problem is easy to reproduce: Start Power BI Desktop, from the ribbon select Get Data->SQL Server.  Power BI then appears to hang.

I will gather whatever trace or state data is needed to help troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.