Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

eagleae
Frequent Visitor

Not working TOTALYTD - just to understand why

.....KPIVersionMonth (in date format)Values
.....111 jan 20211000
.....221 feb 20212000
.....331 mar 20213000

Hi, could you help to explain why does TOTALYTD doeesn't work in my table

I know that i could make formula like

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),YEAR('Table'[date])=YEAR(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[date]))&&'Table'[date]<=MAX('Table'[date])))

But just for understanding what is wrong with just simple using "TOTALYTD"

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @eagleae,

So you mean you want to know more about time intelligence functions calculations?

AFAIK, time intelligence functions required a complete date calendar table and it worked based on the analysis auto date time tables. (this table include the recognized date hierarchy and different granularity of date period) 

These functions and calculations are highly integrated with these date periods internal, you can't do custom with these functions, break the context of the calendar table or they will get the wrong results.

Auto date/time in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Time Intelligence in Power BI Desktop - SQLBI
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Any words are gibberish without detailed data model.

And can you tell the difference between an Excel formula and DAX? Or do you clearly understand what the Evaluation Context is in DAX?

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

what does i should tell in details? I suppose I made it in my table.. 

There are some columns: 

1) accounts (net sales, etc.)

2) version (budget, actual)

3) data

4) values

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.