Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sameermoh12

Not enough memory to complete the operation while trying to import the fields from power BI SSAS mod

Hi All , I am getting an error while trying to import fields from SSAS model .  The error says - 

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] AnalysisServices: The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application. If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine..
'.

I am already using a higher memory thats the max possible , but still the issue is coming up . I can not use the Live connection as the requirement is to add new Columns , and live connection will not give thatflexibility . The problem is , everytime when there is a new requirement to add columns , we can not go back to add in the model , rather we should have the flexibility to connect in IMPORT mode , and then craete / add new calculted column . But here while doing so in the SSAS model , the above error comes up .  Please advise . 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sameermoh12 

You should be using variables(Var) for storing results in case of complex calculations

such that you do not run out of memory. Also note that Power BI is a visualization tool, (it is not excel, yet many people think power Bi can be used/replace excel for reporting instead of excel). Before I can tell anything further..I have few questions for you..

1. How many measures are you using (i.e. columns with calculator sign on them)?

2. How many columns do you have? (Please ensure that you have only necessary columns, delete those columns that are not necessary)

3. Are all the calculations (measures) being calculated concurrently?

4. Is there a possibility of taking calculations to a backend such as Excel or SQL-server?

Also. there are some tips about managing Memory, you can review them in this similar thread.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sameermoh12 

You should be using variables(Var) for storing results in case of complex calculations

such that you do not run out of memory. Also note that Power BI is a visualization tool, (it is not excel, yet many people think power Bi can be used/replace excel for reporting instead of excel). Before I can tell anything further..I have few questions for you..

1. How many measures are you using (i.e. columns with calculator sign on them)?

2. How many columns do you have? (Please ensure that you have only necessary columns, delete those columns that are not necessary)

3. Are all the calculations (measures) being calculated concurrently?

4. Is there a possibility of taking calculations to a backend such as Excel or SQL-server?

Also. there are some tips about managing Memory, you can review them in this similar thread.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @sameermoh12 

You can upgrade specks or optimize your model.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/power-bi-optimization

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.