Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TottaErick

Not all counties (gemeentes) are shown the Netherlands map

I'm trying to make a filled map of the Netherlands.

The Netherlands consists of 380 'gemeentes' (singular: 'gemeente', translation: county), and most of the times, if I try to find them in Power BI, it can find them and fill them. But there are some problematic values it can't find, so there are holes on my map. The following holes are found:

• Berg en Dal (no idea why this doesn't show)
  • Bergen (there are two gemeentes with this name, one in province Limburg and one in province Noord-Holland, usually they are indicated like Bergen (L.) and Bergen (NH.) but that won't work in Power BI)
  • Best (no idea why this doesn't show)
  • Meierijstad (this gemeente fused on January 1st, 2017 from 3 former gemeentes)
  • Midden-Groningen (this gemeente fused on January 1st, 2018 from 3 former gemeentes)
  • Waadhoeke (this gemeente fused on January 1st, 2018 from 3 former gemeentes)
  • Westerwolde (this gemeente fused on January 1st, 2018 from 2 former gemeentes)

How do I fill the holes on my map?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TottaErick,

From my research, the places you have listed are not all regions, some of them are villages(Berg en Dal, Best) and some of them are towns or municipalities.(Waadhoeke, Midden-Groningen, Meierijstad). For such locations, you need to give specific latitude and longitude, then the map will work like the picture below.

A.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qqauxprpof7s1e/Not%20all%20counties%20%28gemeentes%29%20are%20shown%20the...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @TottaErick,

From my research, the places you have listed are not all regions, some of them are villages(Berg en Dal, Best) and some of them are towns or municipalities.(Waadhoeke, Midden-Groningen, Meierijstad). For such locations, you need to give specific latitude and longitude, then the map will work like the picture below.

A.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qqauxprpof7s1e/Not%20all%20counties%20%28gemeentes%29%20are%20shown%20the...

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

Thanks for your reply. This works indeed, if I change the data category from Province/State to County.

You almost got it right, except it seems I didn't make clear enough what a gemeente is. A gemeente has almost always the same name as its capital town (as is the case in Berg en Dal, Best, Bergen (NH) and Bergen (L); in some extreme cases (Groningen and Utrecht), the names of a town, its gemeente and its province can be the same, but these are shown correctly)), while it is actually a region containing multiple towns. The structure of the Netherlands is quite similar to that of the US, but on a smaller scale (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong):

- A state in the US equals a provincie in the Netherlands;

- A county in the US equals a gemeente in the Netherlands;

- A municipality in the US doens't have an equivalent in the Netherlands (this subdivision would be unnecessary/artificial for such a small country) but might be considered as a gemeente as well;

- A city/town/village in the US is the same (stad/plaats/dorp) in the Netherlands.

This is why it seems strange to me that these problematic cases aren't covered on the map if I don't use coordinates, even though the >370 others are shown correctly. Anyway, I'll use the lat/long for all gemeentes, as that seems to work. Smiley Happy

Hi @TottaErick

It's pleasant that your problem has been solved, could you please mark my reply as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Hi!
I want to use lattitude and longitude by making a map of The Netherlands (for plotting adresses on a map more accurately). Therefore I'm looking for a CSV/excel sheet with for all dutch adresses including postal codes the X and y coordinates (open data).
Does anybody know wich source I can use?

Regards, Stéphanie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.