Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ashutosh
Helper I
Helper I

Not able to load Shared pbix file

I know it is possible to share the pbix file, but my question here is if it will display the same reports I have created in the other system.

My colleague tried to open a pbix file which I shared with her but loading of the file fails each time with an error. What would be the possible reasons behind this?

Pbix file has data from my postgres database on Amazon Relational Database Service and some data from excel file.

Size of pbix file is nearly 2.5gb

10 REPLIES 10
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@ashutosh  what does the error say?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg Error was like: Not possible to connect to database and build up the model.

@ashutosh can you post a screenshot of the error?   have you tried to run it yourself, can you access the database?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg She is using the German version so the error is in German. If you are okay with that I can share the screenshot. For me everything is working fine, I am able to load that pbix file and connect to database too. She is also able to connect to db.

@ashutosh yes post it i can try and see what i understand

is she able to create a new connection to the same data?

Pasted image at 2017_06_15 05_17 PM.png

@vanessafvg Yes, she is able to create new connection from DB.

Anyone... I am still not able to resolve this issue.

@ashutosh when exactly does it fail when she tries to refresh?   what is the power query / m code?

@vanessafvg I shared my pbix file with her, and when she tries to open the same file into her Power BI desktop it fail's to load that file.

She simply tries to open the pbix file. Is there some other method to import the pbix file into other's system ?

@ashutosh,

In your Power BI report, which datasource are you using? And which model did you use import model or direcquery? In you use a directquery model, and your colleague do not have the permission to that data source, then you will get this error. Please grant corresponding permission to your colleague and check if this issue persists or not.

Import -

Gives you the full suite of transformation and data manipulation in the Desktop

Direct Query -

Limits your ability to manipulate data in the Desktop (removes the Data section)

Leaves the data in the SQL database

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.