Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shiva_s_l
Frequent Visitor

Not able to connect to Impala through ODBC connector

Hi Everyone,

Since last week, am not able to connect to Impala database through ODBC connector & am getting below error.

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Cloudera][DriverSupport] (1170) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct.

i searched online & tried below things but didn't resolve the issue:

1. Reinstalled the Power BI desktop & ODBC driver
  2. Removed Cache in Power BI desktop & VPN
  3. Cleared the global permissions in data source settings option

Can you please help me in resolving this issue?

Our internal IT team is thinking of raising a MSFT ticket since they were not able to identify the reason behind the issue.

Thanks,

Shiva

8 REPLIES 8
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @shiva_s_l ,

There are 2 existing threads for the same issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connecting-PowerBI-via-Impala-connector/m-p/1003093

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-Connect-Power-BI-to-Impala-connector/m-p/793686

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi Pragathi,

Thanks for sharing the links,

1 link is about SSL issue & the other issue about not able to connect through Impala connector.

My issue is not able to connect through ODBC connector. Data is loading through Impala connector for me. 

@shiva_s_l  interesting that the Impala Connector is working. So, where is the error occuring? Is it when you try to load a new dataset, or when you are refreshing a dataset on the desktop, or refreshing the dataset on the service?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

@Watsky the issue is with the PBI Desktop. i have other dashboards which are connected to Impala with ODBC are refreshing without any issue. When i download the same file & try to work on it in desktop, am getting this error.

Also, when i start afresh in new file from the 'Get data' step, i could see the tables in Impala but when i try to load them, the above error throws in.

@shiva_s_l  I wonder if there is something wrong with the PBIX file. Have you tried copying your advanced editor in Power Query into a new file? If not I would try to copy it over to a new file and see if that refreshes. Maybe something got corrupted in the PBIX file.

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

@Watsky tried this one also, but didn't work.

Atlast, we have raised a MSFT ticket. Team is working on it.

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@shiva_s_l  are you able to successfully test the connection in ODBC Data Source Administrator?

@Watsky  yes, am getting a Success message coming 

shiva_s_l_0-1596639850892.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.