Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karthee

Not able to connect Hive tables-ODBC error

Hi,

I am trying to connect PowerBI Desktop 64 Bit(2.60) with Hive database.I am using 64 bit MapR ODBC connector(2.1.5). I have created the DSN on my system and it tested successfully.when I try to connect hive, it connect successfully but once I select a table or DSN to load it throws the folllowing error:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [MapR][HiveODBC] (35) Error from Hive: error code: '0' error message: 'MetaException(message:Got exception: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException null)'.
Details:
DataSourceKind=Odbc
DataSourcePath=dsn=Hive
OdbcErrors=Table

But if I define my query (SELECT * FROM TABLE) in the advance option(SQL Statement) then I am able to load data from hive in PowerBI.

I tried with latest Microsoft ODBC driver and MapR Hive ODBC connector.

Please help me to sort this out.

Thanks,

karthee

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @karthee,

Since you used MapR Hive driver 2.15 version, please make sure there is no any other version installed on your machine. If there is, please uninstall other versions completedly.

Besides, please test connection to ODBC driver using UDL file. Here is an example. If connection works fine in  UDL file, please copy the generated connection string and use it connect to Hive data soucre in Power BI desktop. If issue persists, you'd better contact the MapR Driver support team for further analysis.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana Gu,

Thanks for the support.

I tried all your suggestions, but nothing helped me, after this i tried with Hortonworks ODBC driver(2.1.12), with this ODBC i had a successful connection with the Hive, it's populating all the schema and the tables in it, but i can't load any table from it,it throws this exception:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (35) Error from server: error code: '0' error message: 'MetaException(message:java.lang.NullPointerException)'.

Details: DataSourceKind=Odbc

DataSourcePath=dsn=Hive_Horton

OdbcErrors=Table 

I have already logged the ticket with MapR.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Karthi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.