Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kieran
Advocate II
Advocate II

Not Enough Memory Error

Hi,

I am using Power BI Desktop 64 Bit connecting to an Analysis Services Multi Dimensional Model via a Power Query query connection.

The fact table I am attempting to import contains less than one million rows.

My task manager says I am only using 25% of Memory / 410.0MB.

The exact error message I get is ...

DataSource.Error: AnalysisServices: Server: The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application. If using 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine.

Can anyone help me here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kieran,

Based on my research, this error message is more related to SSAS. Please check whether you can connect to SSAS instance in SSMS or in other BI tools. 

This can be caused by an incorrect memory setting in SSAS. To troubleshoot this problem, please go through this blog: SSAS error “The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory for the application”... You should make the memory settings change to give a proper value to the memory limits in either percentage of server memory, or in bytes.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
navarroj

HI, 

I have the same problem when trying to import some tables from SSAS Tabular model into Power BI.

Does anyone got the solution please ? 

Thanks,

I found the resolution.

It's because of the complex MDX query that power bi is generating in the background to import the data. Using a query instead of direct import helps. I blogged about it here: https://mydataodyssey.blogspot.com/2019/03/power-bi-olap-import.html 

armanfalah
Frequent Visitor

Sometimes the problem is not about RAM, it is because of complicated formula in calculated column...

check your recently added calculated column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i'm getting the same error while trying to import a (small) SSAS tabular model to Power BI, on my VM's PBI Desktop (8 Gb RAM) and also on the VM machine with SSDT and PBI Desktop (16 Gb RAM), connected to SSAS Tabular Server machine (32 Gb RAM)

I've also tried to change the options mentioned here, in Tabular properties, and it didn't work.

What are the possible solutions for this problem? As someone has wrote, it is a strange error.

Regards

I have the same problem , any one can help please ? 

As I said maybe it is because of recently added calculated column. In many cases it is not because of your RAM. For test this, remove all of your calculated column and then check that!

My SSAS settings are fine. Set to 90% on  a 32 GB server machine. Still get the same error.

I have only a couple of calculated columns, but I have lot of visualizations and measures dependent on them. Does that mean, everytime I have to add new columns to the query from the source or refresh the dataset in Desktop, I need to delete all the data prep steps and re-do them? 

Anyways, it doesn't work either. Get the same error even after removing all the calculated columns and other data prep steps.

This is very weird. How much memory does Importing from SSAS need? Doesn't make sense. Both Live connection and full process of model on SSAS server work fine.

I have the same problem , any one can help please ? 

I guess it is because of a calculated column. 

Try this,

Remove all of your calculated columns and then try to import the data. 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Kieran,

Based on my research, this error message is more related to SSAS. Please check whether you can connect to SSAS instance in SSMS or in other BI tools. 

This can be caused by an incorrect memory setting in SSAS. To troubleshoot this problem, please go through this blog: SSAS error “The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory for the application”... You should make the memory settings change to give a proper value to the memory limits in either percentage of server memory, or in bytes.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you to everyone here who has given me valuable advice.

I confirm that I am continuing my investigation with the understand that the memory issue is caused by SSAS, not Power BI.

Large Cube Takes 10+ Seconds to Parse a simple MDX query

I will of course update this thread once I reach a conclusion.

Hi @Kieran,

If you have resolved your problem, please kindly mark the corresponding reply as an answer or share the valid solution so that it can benefit other users having similar problems. If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Kieran

i dont know if this will help at all but when ive been pressed for memory ive found disabling this extremely helpful, i am assuming you doing this in imported mode?

uncheck allow data preview to download in background from options / options and settings / data load

Capture.PNG

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you Vanessafvg,

I've added clarity to my question confirm that I am attempting to import the data. I will also uncheck the option you recommended and give it a try.

Kind Regards,

Kieran.

@Kieran  the other thing is though is there enough memory on the SSAS server? or it could be just one of those weird errors.. that doesn't really say what the real issue is

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Yes,

My gut feeling is that the memory is caused by the server the SSAS data source is sat on, not Power BI. If anyone else can help that would be great. I am just clutching at straws at the moment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.