Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

Normalize values based on the first one

Hi,

I'm trying to display a graph that shows the performance of a portfolio. Currently it looks like this :

Capture.PNG

As you can see, the first value displayed is 101.63, because this is the value of the portfolio at the begining

of the selected date range.

I would like to dynamically set the first value to a 100 and adjust all values accordingly. For example, if the values

in the date range are as follows :

day 1 : 110

day 2 : 115

day 3 : 105

I would like then to be : 

day 1: 100

day2 : 104.54

day3 : 95.45

The calculation is done by dividing each of the values by the value of the first day(110), and maltiplying by 100.

I don't know how to do it in DAX.

You help is appreciated, thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @zivhimmel

I would do something like this:

(I'm calling your fact table Data and assuming you have a related calendar table called Calendar with the relationship on the Date column, and a base measure called [Value] )

1. Define a measure [Value First Date]
    Value First Date =
    /* Optional check: Only return Value First Date up to the max date that actually appears in the fact table */
    IF (
        MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) <= CALCULATE ( MAX ( Data[Date] ), ALL ( Data ) ),
        CALCULATE (
            [Value],
            CALCULATETABLE ( FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' ) )
        )
    )
  2. Define a [Value Normalized] measure:
    Value Normalized =
    DIVIDE ( [Value], [Value First Date] ) * 100

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @zivhimmel

I would do something like this:

(I'm calling your fact table Data and assuming you have a related calendar table called Calendar with the relationship on the Date column, and a base measure called [Value] )

1. Define a measure [Value First Date]
    Value First Date =
    /* Optional check: Only return Value First Date up to the max date that actually appears in the fact table */
    IF (
        MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) <= CALCULATE ( MAX ( Data[Date] ), ALL ( Data ) ),
        CALCULATE (
            [Value],
            CALCULATETABLE ( FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), ALLSELECTED ( 'Calendar' ) )
        )
    )
  2. Define a [Value Normalized] measure:
    Value Normalized =
    DIVIDE ( [Value], [Value First Date] ) * 100

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

@OwenAuger, thank you so much. Awesome solution !

Capture.PNG

Excellent!

I would nee to set the value to 100 to ANY first date taken into account for analysis and then normalize subsequent values accordingly.

Is this possible in DAX?

Very Nice Example!
I would need as similar method that calculatyes 100 as ANY first date taken in to account as starting date, and then normalize values accordingly. Is it possible with DAX ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.