Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

None Conformed Dimensions

Say you have the following model (2 Fact tables with the only relationship via account and time

DataModel.JPG

Obviously you can put together a table from

Year month (From Time) AccountCode (FromAccount) Category (From Product) Volume (From f Sales)

No problems

You can put together a table

Year month (From Time) AccountCode (FromAccount) Visit Status (From visit) NoOfVisits (From f Visits)

No problems

Try and put everything together in one table and it cant be done Cant Determine Relationships between the fields

This is because of Product information in the table. Remove that and its fine

How would you go about resolving this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

got it. Basically, I merged the Product data item into fsales to used in the table 

then I changed the filter direction to Both between f-sales and time and the solution now works.

So for this none conformed visual, Merging the data item in from the dim that doesnt belong to both facts and then set the relationship direction to both between date and fact and I think this is working

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE 

Sorry I didn't figure out what you are looking for. could you please kindly specify more? please refer to below article to get your question answered more quickly:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Obviously you can put together a table from

Year month (From Time) AccountCode (FromAccount) Category (From Product) Volume (From f Sales)

No problems

You can put together a table

Year month (From Time) AccountCode (FromAccount) Visit Status (From visit) NoOfVisits (From f Visits)

No problems

Try and put everything together in one table and it cant be done 'Cant Determine Relationships between the fields'

This is because of Product information in the table. Remove Product and its fine

How would you go about resolving this in by changing the model. This is none conformed Dimensions over in Oracle

(From Time)  (FromAccount) (From Product)    (From f Sales)         (From visit)        (From f Visits)

Year month  AccountCode    Category              Volume                 Visit Status       NoOfVisits

As an extra. I thought merge might be the answer, Merge Product factory into my f sales table specifically for this issue

MergeConformed.JPG

My thought was, I could use Product category in the fact table for this specific issue.

However when i recreated the table

(From Time)  (FromAccount) (From f Sales merge)    (From f Sales)         (From visit)        (From f Visits)

Year month  AccountCode    Category                       Volume                 Visit Status       NoOfVisits

I still get the error message

'cant display the data because Power BI cant determine the relationship between two or more fields'

So my merge idea hasnt worked and Im a bit stumped 

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

got it. Basically, I merged the Product data item into fsales to used in the table 

then I changed the filter direction to Both between f-sales and time and the solution now works.

So for this none conformed visual, Merging the data item in from the dim that doesnt belong to both facts and then set the relationship direction to both between date and fact and I think this is working

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors