Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaykoooo
Helper I
Helper I

Non-Contiguous Dates in Fact Tables

Hi,
Can I still use Time Intelligence DAX functions in a situation like this? Will I need to create a contiguous dates in Date table and then connect it to both of my fact tables? My dates in the fact tables only show the last day of every month, 31/1/2016 through 31/12/2018.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @shaykoooo,

Yes, I think you may need a continuous calendar table to link each tables, then you can use time intelligence functions to use related calculator table to calculate with current table.

In addition, you can also try to use date function to manually setup data range filters, it not need a continuous calendar table.

Time Intelligence "The Hard Way" (TITHW)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

2020 and still using DATE() vs time intelligence functions, works for me for date columns tied to each table vs a date table.

LivioLanzo
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@shaykoooo

Time Intelligence will work as long as your Date dimension table has contiguous dates set up and you mark it as a date table. 

Now if your fact tables represents Snapshot at month end you need to be careful not to sum the data at the year Total but thatrs another topic

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

So basically I can? And I am not sure I followed the second part of your answer, what is the caveat?

Time intelligence will work as normal. What I was saying is that if your month end data is a snapshot, for instance Quantity Available as of 31 October, Quantity Available as of 30 November etc then you need to be careful at the year level totals not to sum the quantities of all the months but just use the Quantity as of end of December for instance 

Did I answer your question correctly? Mark my answer as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.