Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

awilliams
Frequent Visitor

No Value field in Shape and Filled Maps

Hi, can anyone tell me why the tutorials for Shape and Filled maps have a 'Value' bucket which is supposed to contain value data, yet in the visuals on Power Bi Desktop, there is no Value bucket to do this???

This is the options I have when creating a Shape Map (this is the same for Filled Maps):

pbi_1.PNG

This is how it should appear according to online tutorials:

pbi_2.PNG

Therefore it doesn't work! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcusHussey
Frequent Visitor

I have experienced the same type of issue with the Filled Maps (see my post "Sales Effectiven​ess (Quotes v Orders) with Filled Map").  It appears the "Value" section was replaced by the "Color Saturation" option - which is not working correctly.  In addition to the response I received in the Post, I have a ticket open with Tech Support to look at this issue as well.

The Data Set and Power BI file were supplied to Tech Support, and as soon as Tech Support provides me with the solution/correction I will be posting it back in my original Post.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcusHussey
Frequent Visitor

I have experienced the same type of issue with the Filled Maps (see my post "Sales Effectiven​ess (Quotes v Orders) with Filled Map").  It appears the "Value" section was replaced by the "Color Saturation" option - which is not working correctly.  In addition to the response I received in the Post, I have a ticket open with Tech Support to look at this issue as well.

The Data Set and Power BI file were supplied to Tech Support, and as soon as Tech Support provides me with the solution/correction I will be posting it back in my original Post.

@MarcusHussey Thanks for shedding some light on the issue, I thought it was a bug issue but it was frustrating me. When you get a response on your post, would you mind tagging me in it?? Thank you!!

@awilliams

Here is the response from Microsoft I received today.....

The current most of the behavior is by design.

The filled map currently doesn’t fully support something in Location and Legend without something in Color Saturation; it's meant to be an intermediary state right now. In upcoming updates we will be trying to address this issue which should correctly determine which to use, assuming a 1-1 relationship between categories and legend items.

For the issue with the misplaced zip code, will open a ticket with Bing Maps team, but the best thing to do is to manually add the state to the zip codes by concatenation with a calculated column, such that the zip codes take the form of “79405, Texas.” We do not currently take drill hierarchy into account when geocoding, but it is an issue we are aware of.

The (blank) legend item is coming from what seems to be an empty row at the very bottom of the report. Because it ends up sorted as the first item for the legend, it’s currently used as the series for all zip codes when there is no value. It isn’t included when there’s a value because when we have values, we remove any rows that do not have values. You can see the same behavior in table. Please remove the extra blank row if you do not want to see it.

I tried their suggestions and came up with the following:

1.  I was able to add the “, Texas” designation to all of the Zip Codes and this returned accurate results in the Filled Map.
  2. Transforming my data in Excel into a Table removed all of the “Blank” designations when 1 item is being queried in “Legend”…..
  3. ….though not being able visually see the results from 1 item being queried is, in my opinion, a miss; that hopefully will be corrected in a subsequent revision to Power BI as you point out below.
  4. When an item is added to the “Color Saturation” field, there are still errors to the Saturation levels that are being returned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.