Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Transaction Date in Fact Table

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to create a transaction date in the fact table, if it doesn't yet exist?

I have a fact table and multiple lookup tables with successful one-to-many relationships. I have got stuck however on connecting the Calendar table to the fact table; there is no Date to connect to in the fact table.

I understand this is limited information, but just looking for a general guidance to start with (e.g. is this a frequent issue)

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

It sounds like you did not have any valid DateTime value in your table, is there any part of data values? (e.g. year, month, day...)
If this is a case, you can add an index to your table and create a dummy start date based on these date parts and use the index as interval to generate the list of date value into your tables.

BTW, it will be helpful if you share some dummy data to help us clarify your data structures.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , there is no date, you do nor need date join. Do you have month, year, qtr year. etc. you can create date from that

refer:https://youtu.be/cJqgphIHXz8

Dax way: https://youtu.be/yPQ9UV37LOU?t=100

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - Create a calculated column like:

Date = TODAY()

?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.