Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tobias_Lehmann2
Regular Visitor

No Relations found between two tables

Hey everyone,

I am a Power Bi newbie and I have a very simple problem for you. Sorry for my bad englisch, i am not a native speaker.

I have two tables with 3 columns each. One table stands for one year. My first column is the date column, in the second column are the manufacturers and in the third column stands the sales volume. My goal is to establish a connection between these two tables to compare the sales amount per producer between the two years.

Table 1 (2015):

date   description  sales amount

Table 2 (2016):

date   description  sales amount

The Problem is, that Power Bi cant find a connection between the two tables. I grouped the manufacturer column an the data column, but that didnt work.

So what did I wrong ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You should combine the data from both of these tables into a single data table either before load (via a query) or during load (via Power Query - Get Data).  You should then have a  single data table containing date, desc, sales amount.

Then create and load a calendar table (sounds like you may have one of these already).  it needs to have the same granularity as the dates in your data table.  eg if your data table dates are "day level", then your calendar table must be the same.  Read my blog post about calendar tables here  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/ 

Assuming you have a day calendar table, you can use inbuilt time intelligence to solve the problem.

Total Sales = sum(data[Sales Amount])

Total Sales prior year = calculate([total sales],dateadd(calendar[date],-1,Year))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You should combine the data from both of these tables into a single data table either before load (via a query) or during load (via Power Query - Get Data).  You should then have a  single data table containing date, desc, sales amount.

Then create and load a calendar table (sounds like you may have one of these already).  it needs to have the same granularity as the dates in your data table.  eg if your data table dates are "day level", then your calendar table must be the same.  Read my blog post about calendar tables here  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/ 

Assuming you have a day calendar table, you can use inbuilt time intelligence to solve the problem.

Total Sales = sum(data[Sales Amount])

Total Sales prior year = calculate([total sales],dateadd(calendar[date],-1,Year))

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

I created the Calendar table und startet to create two measures, with the syntax you posted below.

But the last Syntax seemed to be wrong.

I tried two versions

The first one with the function Date (if you mean that with date)

....  calendar(DATE,-1.Year)).

Or a second version with a reference to my date table

... dateadd(CALENDAR('Date Table'[Date];-1,year))

But everytime Power BI said "wrong syntax for 'year'. (DAX(CALCULATE('XX'[Total Sales],dateadd(CALENDAR('Date Table'[Date],-1.year)))).

So what did i wrong ?

@Tobias_Lehmann2 you're using periods where you should be using commas.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sorry, there was a close square bracket missing in my formula after "date".  I have fixed it now

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.