Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cmengel
Advocate II
Advocate II

No One Will See It

As stated in last week's post, I revised some reports I built a year ago.  The process revealed a couple key nuggets.

This week's nugget was much more subtle.

One report has multiple slicers across the top so the business can filter it how they want.

Working with all these similar objects drove me to group them together and it made it easier.

Then it dawned on me to group the remaining visuals in a way that made sense.

This activity of grouping visuals together became a new activity.

Before I knew it I was going through all my reports and going through this grouping and organizing process.

The thought crossed my mind - why are you doing this?

It doesn't change anything about how fast or accurate the report is.

No one will see it.

No one will know.

Then it hit me.  I know.

I'll have the peace of mind the that whoever opens up this file and opens the Selection panel will see that I cared enough to take the time to group and organize all the visuals on each and every report page.

It's exactly the same as a furniture maker that chooses to put a beautiful piece of wood on the back of a chest of drawers that faces the wall.  No one will likely see it, but she knows it's there.  She took the time to make it excellent.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how are you going to have time to do it over?

Take the extra few moments to make whatever you're working on excellent.

You'll have the peace of mind of knowing it's done excellently.

And who knows, someday someone else will see what you did and instantly know how much you cared.

We have one shot, why not make it excellent and worthy of your signature…?

1 REPLY 1
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cmengel ,

Thank you for sharing, your insights have benefited me.

As the old saying goes, gold always shines.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.