cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DMogadati Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: No Data View Option

How did it fix it for you? I see data view in Query Editor. But not in the Power BI  Desktop 

Frequent Visitor

How it you solve it? I do see the data view in the query editor but not in Power BI Desktop. Please help!

Frequent Visitor

How did you fix it? I still have same problem. I can see it in Edit Query mode but not in power bi desktop. Please help

dosansil Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

How did you fix it? I still have same problem. I can see it in Edit Query mode but not in power bi desktop. Please help [2]

Peter1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

This solution did not work for me. I have another Power BI report where I have no problem, I can see the data view icon (that one has two tables, and a third that I created from those two).

The data view option is available to me when I open a new file, but when I open another file it is not there...

The other file has 8 tables, and never had the data view icon available. I am not sure what I did differently (nothing, as far as I can tell, except for the number of tables). The previous solution in this thread (clicking on the Query Editor) did not solve the issue. I can get to the query editor but it doesnt allow me to add tables or format the numbers in a column.

On the Modelling Tab the "New Table" button is greyed out, as is the Formatting panel on the same tab.

I am not sure if there is some limitation on the number of tables, how the data is brought in (DirectQuery or not) etc. but I can't figure it ourt and any help would be appreciated.

I am on version Version 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January, 2018), and I am a new user for Power BI and not very technical (so be gentle with me).

Biss Visitor
Visitor

I think this is because you've set your query up as a Direct Query, rather than selecting Import, when setting up your query.  I was having the same problem this morning, so I set up a brand new query both ways (ie one as an Import, and one as a Direct Query).  As soon as you set it up as Direct Query the Data View option disappears. 

No idea why though - I'm very new to Power BI too!

carlosDash Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I believe @Biss is correct. 

I tried connecting to a local SQL Express Server with Direct Query and it would not produce a "Data" view. Data is available in the "Edit Query" window. The developers should add a "greyed out" Data view button which shows a tooltip on hover explaining why there is no view.

PowerBI - SQL Server (2018-03-22).png

aj81 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

When you load data to the report use "Import" rather than "DirectQuery".

aj81 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

When loading data to a report use "Import" rather than "DirectQuery".

Diego-mx Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Guys. Hey Guys!!  The solution is marked incorrect.  
I lost an hour of myday understanding the issue, and it turned out to have been known all along.
It's just not pointed to as a solution.   
The problem is the import method as DirectQuery instead of Import.  
Can someone mark the correct answer?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

January 2020 Community Highlights

January 2020 Community Highlights

Make sure you didn't miss any of the things that happened in the community in January!

Top Solution Authors