Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ErinMark

No Data View Option

Hi there,

Brand new to Power BI. Excel power user and capable enough in SQL. Got going yesterday linking queried SQL tables in Desktop Power BI, but I can no longer view the Data view. What's going on? If I open a blank Power BI instance, I see all three options on the left - relationships, report, but no data view. What am I missing?

Thanks fopr your time! Erin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@ErinMark when you are on reort tab do you see the Edit Queries in the top ribbon. What happens if you click it.

Please share screenshot for some better understanding.

Regards

Harris

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
KaleemMI

When Data Connectivity Mode is DirectQuery; you will not have Data View. It is not a bug, it is designed that way.

For the same model, if you Import any table or create New table from Table Tools then Data View is visible. If you select newly Imported Table or newly created Table, it will show the data; However when you select DirectQuery Table it will give the message "This table uses DirectQuery and cannot be shown"

KaleemMI_1-1695283978544.png

KaleemMI_0-1695283920129.png

binbeans

I have same problem but it fixed. The data is there only the blank row goes top. You guys need to remove blank row since all the data at the bottom row after blank rows. Hope this can help you guys.

rsarapalli
Advocate I
Advocate I

I faced the same issue and resolved it by selecting "Import" instead of "Direct Query" under data connectivity mode options.

Thanks

Peter1

This solution did not work for me. I have another Power BI report where I have no problem, I can see the data view icon (that one has two tables, and a third that I created from those two).

The data view option is available to me when I open a new file, but when I open another file it is not there...

The other file has 8 tables, and never had the data view icon available. I am not sure what I did differently (nothing, as far as I can tell, except for the number of tables). The previous solution in this thread (clicking on the Query Editor) did not solve the issue. I can get to the query editor but it doesnt allow me to add tables or format the numbers in a column.

On the Modelling Tab the "New Table" button is greyed out, as is the Formatting panel on the same tab.

I am not sure if there is some limitation on the number of tables, how the data is brought in (DirectQuery or not) etc. but I can't figure it ourt and any help would be appreciated.

I am on version Version 2.54.4970.961 64-bit (January, 2018), and I am a new user for Power BI and not very technical (so be gentle with me).

Biss
Regular Visitor

I think this is because you've set your query up as a Direct Query, rather than selecting Import, when setting up your query.  I was having the same problem this morning, so I set up a brand new query both ways (ie one as an Import, and one as a Direct Query).  As soon as you set it up as Direct Query the Data View option disappears. 

No idea why though - I'm very new to Power BI too!

I believe @Biss is correct. 

I tried connecting to a local SQL Express Server with Direct Query and it would not produce a "Data" view. Data is available in the "Edit Query" window. The developers should add a "greyed out" Data view button which shows a tooltip on hover explaining why there is no view.

PowerBI - SQL Server (2018-03-22).png

dosansil
Helper I
Helper I

How to fix this issue; I also have the same problem.

Hi, go up to the Home Tab and hit edit data

HongShi
Regular Visitor

hi there,

are there solution, please share. I have the same issue  No Data View. 

Thank you

Guys. Hey Guys!!  The solution is marked incorrect.  
I lost an hour of myday understanding the issue, and it turned out to have been known all along.
It's just not pointed to as a solution.   
The problem is the import method as DirectQuery instead of Import.  
Can someone mark the correct answer?  

This is actually not a solution. That's just explaining when the Data view is not available. In many circumstances, Import is not a viable solution. That's why there is an option for Direct Query. The solution actually appears to be that if you are in Direct Query and can not move to Import, then you need to use the Edit Query option to view the data structure.

msupawadee

Hi All;

How to fix this issue; I also have the same problem.

Best Regard

Supawadee

Hi, go up to the Home Tab and hit edit data

When you load data to the report use "Import" rather than "DirectQuery".

anguyen83
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I am having the same problem as well. On the left hand side I can see the report view and relationship view. there is no data view. Also I went into edit queries however when i close it I cannot see the data view on the lef thand pane

can someone help?

When loading data to a report use "Import" rather than "DirectQuery".

HarrisMalik
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@ErinMark when you are on reort tab do you see the Edit Queries in the top ribbon. What happens if you click it.

Please share screenshot for some better understanding.

Regards

Harris

Doh! That fixed it. So obvious...

How did you fix it? I still have same problem. I can see it in Edit Query mode but not in power bi desktop. Please help

How did you fix it? I still have same problem. I can see it in Edit Query mode but not in power bi desktop. Please help [2]

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.