Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dyingod
Helper I
Helper I

Newbie question: why can't you match up calculations between Excel & Power BI?

Hello!

I don't want to turn this into a solution-based post. It's more of a general question really.

My company tasked me with investigating how we can switch all of our reporting from Excel to Power BI - which is super excciting and I'm loving learning this new tool.

But I find that calculating the same dataset via Power BI & Excel is 75% of the time not exactly matching what Excel tell me. Being new in data, I find that there must be a commonsense common knowledge explanation to this... like, different approaches to processing or clustering, or sampling?

I just wanted to get confirmation for the experts out there that this is a common thing to come across - if possible? I mean, no need to show you datasets or compare formulas or anything... I just wanted to know if this is "a thing" and it's normal and it's okay or if I'm just doing a really crap job of learning Power BI!

Thanks all! Much love!

Rafa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally this kind of issue surfaces when you are taking something like a pivot table in Excel and comparing it to a table or matrix visualization. See this post on how this situation can occur:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dyingod,

Excel has many powerful add-ins. 

1. Excel build-in functions;

2. Power Query (integrated in Excel 2016);

3. Power Pivot;

4. Power View.

Please reference: https://www.excelcampus.com/powerbi/powerbi-designer-overview/Newbie question why can't you match up calculations between Excel & Power BI.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
vcastello
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @dyingod

I don't get that kind of mismatch between Excel and Power BI results.

I do normally develope in Excel through PowerPivot and check whether it works or not.  And (at least for me) is faster and much easier to debug,.

Then, once I see everything is Ok (some times more than 70 measures) I import it in PBI Desktop to do the visuals.

HTH

Vicente

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally this kind of issue surfaces when you are taking something like a pivot table in Excel and comparing it to a table or matrix visualization. See this post on how this situation can occur:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.