Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pandra801

Newbie question about the Top N filter

Hi all,

Very new to this but catching on quickly. What a great product.

So, if I ask a simple question:

I have a table visual in a report that lists 200+ rows of basic sales data: Company, Product, Revenue. I want to only show the top 10 rows that have the highest Revenue values. Problem is, the Top N filter is not available in the Revenue filter dialog. I see it in other fields though.

Why is that, and how would I accomplish this simple task?

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pandra801 What you want is to use either Company or Product and set the TOP N on one of those filters. Then the Revenue goes in the "By Value" field.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pandra801,

As Eno1978 said, you should ensure the "Revenue" column is a value field, if it doesn't a value field you should change its type or use math function(such as count) to convert it.

Capture2.PNG

In addition, you can also try to use dax top n function.

Table = TOPN(10,Sheet1,[Revenue],DESC)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

v-shex-msft: Thanks for the tip, now that I think about it this likely has to be done as well. In any case, thanks for the reply - much appreciated!

@Pandra801 What you want is to use either Company or Product and set the TOP N on one of those filters. Then the Revenue goes in the "By Value" field.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Eno1978 - thank you for the reply. Makes perfect sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.