Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gmatt_BInewb

Newbie Help - subtotaling, calculating percentages, and more

First time community poster here.

I've just started using Power BI and have made substantial progress in creating visualizations of our IT systems availability/downtime metrics.  However, I'm having trouble with one aspect that is proving a bit too complicated for me to figure out on my own.  Would REALLY appreciate some help.

GOAL: To get quarterly charts for each App/Service Group (groups of a number of apps or services) showing quarterly percentage Uptime (or availability).  

TECHNICAL DETAILS: The raw data is an excel file of all service disruptions which includes fields like incident numbers (unique), application affected, time stamp, and App/Service Group (metric Group).  Using this table, I've been able to get this visual:

Chart.PNG

This is really close to what I need, I just need to convert the values displayed from "sum of minutes" to "percentage uptime".  This is the challenge.

I've created another table that lists the total quarterly availability minutes per metrics group:

Table.PNG

I think I need a new table that calculates (QuarterlyAvailMinutes - Duration(Metrics Group)) / QuarterlyAvailMinutes for each metric group.

This is where I'm stuck.  Do I create subtotal tables for each metric group, summing quarterly outage info, then add a calculated column to get the percentage availability?

Sorry for the long post, but since I'm new to this, some of my confusion is definitely not knowing the fundamentals.  I thought laying out the whole scenario would overcome any problems with my explanation of what I need.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@gmatt_BInewb,

Check if the following thread helps.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Percentages-to-multi-line-report/m-p/378504#M172040

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@gmatt_BInewb,

Check if the following thread helps.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Percentages-to-multi-line-report/m-p/378504#M172040

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.