cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrice007 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Newbee question: Simple line chart

I'm having issues with what seems to be a VERY simple use case. I'm getting X and Y values that I want to display in a simple line chart - yeah, I know, not really a BI problem, but I'm just evaluating the tool and that's the first use case, and to be honest, I'm about to call it quits.

It's a simple table: I have a 193 rows of three colums: Frequency (in 1 MHz increments, from 4 to 196), Phase (a floating point value) and Amplitude (another floating point value). I want to use the Frequency values as my X axis and draw the Phase value at each frequency on the Y-axis... But dragging the Phase column onto the Values displays the "Number of Phases" (which is always one). I just want the VALUE of the Phase at that Frequency to be displayed...

That's a 30 second job in Excel, but I've just spent a frustrating hour in Power BI Desktop. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Newbee question: Simple line chart

Hi @patrice007,

I believe that your problem is related with the format of the Phase, how is your value formated? Is it Number or text
Seems to me like it's a text that's why you can only count, format it as number and try the line graph again.

Regards

MFelix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi there.

It sounds like it should work. Any chance you can share some of your data. I'd be more than happy to produce a line chart with it and get you the PBIX file back. Once you have this I think you'll be away.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User
Super User

Hi @patrice007,

I believe that your problem is related with the format of the Phase, how is your value formated? Is it Number or text
Seems to me like it's a text that's why you can only count, format it as number and try the line graph again.

Regards

MFelix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

patrice007 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! I should have cued on the icon of the column...So obvious now that you mention it.