Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patrice007

Newbee question: Simple line chart

I'm having issues with what seems to be a VERY simple use case. I'm getting X and Y values that I want to display in a simple line chart - yeah, I know, not really a BI problem, but I'm just evaluating the tool and that's the first use case, and to be honest, I'm about to call it quits.

It's a simple table: I have a 193 rows of three colums: Frequency (in 1 MHz increments, from 4 to 196), Phase (a floating point value) and Amplitude (another floating point value). I want to use the Frequency values as my X axis and draw the Phase value at each frequency on the Y-axis... But dragging the Phase column onto the Values displays the "Number of Phases" (which is always one). I just want the VALUE of the Phase at that Frequency to be displayed...

That's a 30 second job in Excel, but I've just spent a frustrating hour in Power BI Desktop. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @patrice007,

I believe that your problem is related with the format of the Phase, how is your value formated? Is it Number or text
Seems to me like it's a text that's why you can only count, format it as number and try the line graph again.

Regards

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @patrice007,

I believe that your problem is related with the format of the Phase, how is your value formated? Is it Number or text
Seems to me like it's a text that's why you can only count, format it as number and try the line graph again.

Regards

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thank you! I should have cued on the icon of the column...So obvious now that you mention it.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi there.

It sounds like it should work. Any chance you can share some of your data. I'd be more than happy to produce a line chart with it and get you the PBIX file back. Once you have this I think you'll be away.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.