Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Newb: Using Text filters on a huge data set is slow. Any alternatives?

I am a new PowerBI user. 

I am trying to filter a ADO Bug data set using the texts in the Title(text) column. I am trying to use "Text query" but it is taking forever even for one condition.

I am sure there must be another way besides just right click and using Text queries. I am stalled at this point and would appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,Can you please explain with an example.

refer if this can help https://exceleratorbi.com.au/text-filtering-power-bi/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure @amitchandak 

I need to filter and remove anything and everything that has a particular text. For example, in the attached I need to remove or filter out anything that has "Technical" in the title

Like wise I have many other texts

if you have different options as delimters ie technical has a - after it, and td has a : after it, i would do replace on one of those with just one type and then split the column in power query using that delimiter, so change all the td: to td- etc.. and then use - to split the column.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you give an example of your data and what exactly you are doing?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is just a very small sample

I need to remove anything that has TD, TeCh, Techincal, Techical Defect, Splunk error etc

I also looked at the M Code( if I think it is) thrugh Advance Query editor 

is the type of error always in the beginning of the value  with a :  if so you can duplicate the column and split the first value off by the delimiter : and then filter those?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought of and tried that too but the text may occur at any position in the string. That is what is making it challenging other than the slowness

so what you say is that each line of text has the error message at any time not at the beginning of the string?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is correct @vanessafvg 

so what you saying is each line of text has the error message at any point not in the beginning of the string?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that is correct @vanessafvg 

I would definitely use M code for this I think if you never want to see those rows. I would create a new column with something like:

=Text.PositionOf([Error Column], “TD”) + 1

You then only keep the zeros.

@Anonymous 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

can I use this code if I have mulitpleslike TD, Tech, Technical etc

as

=Text.PositionOf([Error Column], “TD”,"Tech") + 1

@Greg_Deckler 

@Anonymous - No, you would do it this way:

=Text.PositionOf([Error Column],"TD") + 1 + Text.PositionOf([Error Column],"Tech") + 1 + Text.PositionOf([Error Column], "Something else") + 1

If no matches, will return 0, keep only the zeros.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried this 

let
Source = VSTS.AnalyticsViews("GEICO", "Billing", null),
#"Private Views_Folder" = Source{[Id="Private Views",Kind="Folder"]}[Data],
#"0b13fece-ab92-4754-b484-41ecef303333_Table" = #"Private Views_Folder"{[Id="0b13fece-ab92-4754-b484-41ecef303333",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"0b13fece-ab92-4754-b484-41ecef303333_Table", {"Work Item Id"}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Duplicates", each ([Originating Environment] = "Extended Development" or [Originating Environment] = "Extended Integration" or [Originating Environment] = "Extended User" or [Originating Environment] = "Integration" or [Originating Environment] = "Production" or [Originating Environment] = "User")),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Created Date", type date}}),
#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Bug Root Cause] = "Change in Requirements" or [Bug Root Cause] = "Code Issue" or [Bug Root Cause] = "Code Issue - Unexpected Results" or [Bug Root Cause] = "Code Regressed")),
#"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each not Text.StartsWith([Title], "TD") or not Text.Contains([Title], "TD") or not Text.StartsWith([Title], "Data Fix") or not Text.StartsWith([Title], "Data fix") or not Text.Contains([Title], "Datafix") or not Text.StartsWith([Title], "TD") or not Text.StartsWith([Title], "Tech") or not Text.Contains([Title], "Technical") or not Text.StartsWith([Title], "Splunk") or not Text.Contains([Title], "splunk") and not Text.Contains([Title], "LogCop"))
in
#"Filtered Rows2"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.