Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Laurent_Huon
Frequent Visitor

New workspace : cannot publish report even if I'm admin

I try to test the new workspaces. 

A few days ago with the may version, it run well : I could publish my dashboard in PB services. 

This morning, I updated with the new PB desktop with the august version and after a creation of a new workspace (i'm admin by default), I saw it in the list to publish but I cannot publish with this message : "sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace. Please contact the owner of the workspace". I'm the owner...

NB : No problem with "old" type of workspaces.

Anyone has reproduced the bug ? Any idea to fix it ? Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Mikapal

The same problem here, I have tried the new workspace in two different environment. In both environments I get the "Sorry you don't have access to this workspace" message, but still in the other environment the report gets published despite the error message.

Both have live SSAS connection.

I hope this gets fixed soon! We are really waiting to use the new workspaces to be able to use the AD groups as members

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the same error on a new tenant today.  Can't create ANY shared reports because of this.

Same here. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got the same error on a new tenant today.  Can't create ANY shared reports because of this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any progress on this? 

Feels like a fairly important feature to work, whether preview or not...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any progress on this? 

Feels like a fairly important feature to work, whether preview or not...

FrederikDec
Frequent Visitor

Hi

I'm also having the same issue.

The datasource, using directquery, publishes fine. But the accompanying report does not get published.

As described above, I'm the admin of the workspace and when publishing from Desktop to the Service, the error "Sorry you don't have access to the workspace" appears.

Hope this helps to get the issue resolved more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok guys, the previous error internal error 500 when publishing from Desktop to PBI workspace apps v2 with PBI Live Connection source has been fixed.

However, the no permission error still there. I am the admin and has full rights to the workspace apps v2 but still unable to publish directly from Desktop. It still prompt me Sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace error message. This error only impact reports with DirectQuery and Live connection.

Please help!!! 

joejetta
Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of those this is happening to.  Live connection to data in my report, I am an admin of the workspace (newly created in preview) and when I tried to publish I go the "Sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace. Please contact the owner for the access." (which is me), but the report actually published.  But as I make changes to the report and try to publish them I continue to get the error and the changes are not getting published now.

rbre
Frequent Visitor

We have the same issue. When we first used the new workspace we had a different error: internal server error (500), and now that has dissappeared and we have the 'can't publish report' error. I did see now though that my report and my dataset were in fact pubslihed so that is good.  

Hi,

Having exactly the same issue with the preview workspace! Yes i am the only admin on the workspace.

However, one pattern that I notice is that this issue only occurs if i'm using direct queries in the powerbi report. Like others have observed, when i get this error the reports still look to have been published fine?

If i attempt to publish reports which are based on data imports, all is fine and no error under the new preview workspace.

Can other folk confirm this observation regarding data imports or direct queries?

Must be a bug with the direct queries?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly same issue with me.

My report is on live connection. When publish to Workspace Apps v2, it prompts me the access error.

Oh well, it's in preview mode, so let's hope they iron out all these issues by GA.

For those that having this similar issue, for the meantime, go to Power BI site, go to Get Data, and Upload the .pbix report files manually into the workspace. This alternate solution works, just abit not convenient.

For hyeung : I aggree. It works fine with data inside and wrong with direct queries.

For maximus : Thanks. Just after the bug, I tried and successed to import pbix in workspace v2 but my queries (direct queries on Big Query) doesn't work well. I'm waiting for new version. 

simonphillips

I'm getting the same issue with new workspaces which I've created (and I'm an admin of too). I've tried upgrading Power BI Desktop to the latest, but no change.

Strangely, despite the error, the report does get published to the workspace.

I have two colleagues who are both admins: one of them has the same problem, for the other it publishes fine - but the report "Owner" in the PowerBI Service report list shows as a different username. I wonder if there's a bug about who's being authenticated as the report or dataset owner?

Let's wait that this feature will be completly provided and not in pre-view. For my company, I made this decision. 

wb

I just created another workspace, but didn't upgrade to the preview and I can publish from the desktop to it.

So, you have the same problem as me : 

- New workspace : can't publish

- "Old" workspace : no problem for puplishing

I'm glad to have another person like me 🙂 It would be even better with the resolution.

wb

I am having the same issue.  I create a new workspace OK, but then when publishing from the desktop app I get -

Sorry, you don't have access to publish to this workspace. Please contact the owner for access.

I can confirm that the dataset is created in the workspace, just not the report.

I am using the new workspace preview as well.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Laurent_Huon,

I have made a test on your issue but can't reproduce your issue. Did the issue happen before you updated your PBI desktop? In addtion, you can create another workspace and publish your report the new workspace and check if the issue still happen.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Thanks to you. I retry and it's very simple : creation of the new workspace with a name and that's all. 

and then in desktop, I publish and I got the same message too...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

You may want to check your Power BI Tenant settings for the new workspace settings

• create workspaces (new workspace experience preview)
    if you are an admin, then you can enable this setting as needed before it can be used or contact your Power BI Tenant admin to enable the feature.

I believe this may be why you are not able to use the workspace as intended.

Regards

Fabian

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.