Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New workspace and connecting to files in sharepoint or onedrive

Hi,

I am a little confused, and hope someone can shed some light on this topic.

Previously when I created a workspace, a sharepoint online site was automatically created.

When I click on the elipses next to the workspace name, I could select "files" which would take me to the sharepoint site to allow me to connect to the files.

files.jpg

I have create a workspace using the "new" mode and I cannot see a way how to associate a sharepoint site or to connect to online files. (there is no "files" option)

new_workspace.jpg

I found this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-connect-to-files-in-app-workspace-onedrive-for-bus...

and it says

"If you don't see Files on the app workspace menu, select Members to open the OneDrive for Business for your app workspace."

However, I don't even see "Members" All I see are the 2 options in the screenshot above

If I choose "worspace access" all I get to is the popup for workspace access that allows me to add people to the workpace.

Can someone please tell me how to link a workspace and sharepoint site so I can connect to the files stored there online?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

The new workspace type doesn't have a contain to host files.  If you want to have your Power BI reports connect to files in other workspaces, you simply need to use 'Get Data' in your dataset.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are 2 workspace types.  There is the current workspace and the new preview feature workspace.

The Current Workspace is directly tied in with an Office 365 group, which includes things such as a Sharepoint Online site.  Whenever a new Workspace was created, an Office 365 group was created along side of it.  This wasn't always what we wanted.

The new preview workspace is not directly tied with an Office 365 group and is therefore not directly tied with such a thing.

You can still store files in other Office 365 groups and linking them into your Power BI reports and get the same functionality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

When you create a "new" workspace, how do you link it to files?

Next to the workspace name, there are 3 dots, and there is no "files" option.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The new workspace type doesn't have a contain to host files.  If you want to have your Power BI reports connect to files in other workspaces, you simply need to use 'Get Data' in your dataset.

Hey there, related request - do you know if it's possible to add SharePoint site/O365 functionality to an existing new app workspace?

Cheers,

Ed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.