Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New to power BI

Hello all -- I need to create a chart to show headcount per month, I have all the data - start dates and ends dates just need a guide on how to show in power bi.  New to the system so need initial steps to get this going!  Anything would be appreciated.  

6 REPLIES 6
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You may refer to the following official tutorial to Get started with the Power BI service. 

Tutorial : Get started with the Power BI service 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Stacked bar Chart or Stacked column chart is the answer. 

Use this YouTube VIDEO to understand everything about the charts.

Regards,

Gaurav Raj Singh 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gauravrajsingh/

If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

nhoward
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Anonymous ,

you can use the search in the top right corner, to look for Active Employees per month, or Head Count and you'll get a few different ideas to work through. 

Like this one: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Count-total-active-employees-in-each-month/m-p/808254/highlight/true#M388654

It is designed to work with a data model that has a master calendar, and a date slicer being active on the page. 

Active Employee Count =
VAR CurrentDate = MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
RETURN
    SUMX (
        data_employees,
        IF (
            data_employees[Start Date] <= CurrentDate
                && OR ( data_employees[End Date] >= CurrentDate , ISBLANK(data_employees[End Date]) ),
            BLANK ()
        )
    )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you - I'm very new to power BI and the tutorials i'm finding online do not match the options i see on my power bi screen. I'm using the webversion, figured out how to upload my file and that's it!  Do you know of any services that can give live tutorials?

You an option to see edit in web mode. explore that

Screenshot 2020-02-04 10.09.34.png

HI @Anonymous ,

Power BI Service (the web version) is mostly a publishing tool, not a building tool.  You need to use Power BI Desktop to build the report, as it is the only tool that lets you create measures.  The online training will be about Power BI desktop mostly.  

This is the microsoft training pages. open it using Chrome to get the full benefit. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.