Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fl-Power
Regular Visitor

New to Power BI-numeric Field not totalling

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and cannot figure out why a numeric field is not totalling:  I imported an excel table with 2 fields Sales Order Number and Total Invoiced only.  I linked the SO field to the main table with the details.  When in a Table visualization the invoice total is displayed but not totalled at the bottom (a numeric field from another table does total)  The field that does total has Sum checked, so I changed Total Invoiced to Sum.  Now each entry shows the total rather than the individual value and that same total is displayed at the bottom of the table.  I am at a loss as to how to fix this.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This seemed to fix the problem!  I needed to change Cross filter direction from single to both.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fl-Power
Regular Visitor

I just read that if if you don't have a relationship between two tables and attempt to analyze the data in a report you will get repeating values. I tried removing duplicates from the main table (with data) so I could change the relationship from Many to 1 to One to many but got an error (The cardinality you selected isn't valide for this relationship)  Also with numeric field that is behaving correctly is part of the same data table (and linked through ProjectID rather than the Sales Order Number) so thinking this may have something to do with the issue? (Although I created a report with ProjectID and count of SO#s filtered to greater than 1 and got no results....

Is there a way to create a left join?  

@Fl-Power,

You are right. You have to create a relationship. For that, One of the tables must have unique values.

Tried merging using a left join (ProjectTable,Invoices) but still having issues.  I exited without saving the merge.  My table set up is below.  I wanted to create a visualization showing invoicing by Division.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

ProjectTable

Key=ProjectID

SO#

Division

Quotes

Foreign Key ProjectID

SO#

Quote Total

Invoices

SO#

Invoice Total

This seemed to fix the problem!  I needed to change Cross filter direction from single to both.

Hi @Fl-Power,

Please provide some sample data or pbix file to test.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.