Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New to Community

Hi All, I'm new to this community.  I've been working extensively with Tableau for the last 9 years and have just taken some Power BI Training.

What is the process for posting questions here?  In Tableau's forum everyone is strongly encouraged to provide a sample mock-up workbook with the challenge.  Tableau also uses a common sample data set (Superstore) so everyone is familar with and speaks the same language.

Should we be posting workbooks for our questions?  And is there a common data set we are encouraged to use?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Welcome aboard!

My first suggestion, to cover most of your questions, is to read this thread:

How to get your questions answered quickly 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

I have been using this forum for a while now, mainly asking (lots of) questions and found that it does make it easier for those trying to help you, if you include an example .pbix file with an example of the data set you are working on.  Obviously, if the data is confidential or sensertive, I normally use mock up data such as from an excel file, then import th excel file into the example power bi file for people to play with and try and help with your issue.

I guess simply try and provide as much info as possible, but make sure it clear and understandable and not informaiton overload.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , you can follow this blog on how to post. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Keep the question very specific and two the point. 

Just do not ask what the alternate of tableau in power bi, there can be a user who does not know tableau

Always share sample data and sample out.

You can use data from the sample my GitHub - https://github.com/amitchandakpbi/powerbi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I get that.  I'm a leader in the Tableau community with over 18,000 points so I know how important it is to have clearly defined problems.

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

I have been using this forum for a while now, mainly asking (lots of) questions and found that it does make it easier for those trying to help you, if you include an example .pbix file with an example of the data set you are working on.  Obviously, if the data is confidential or sensertive, I normally use mock up data such as from an excel file, then import th excel file into the example power bi file for people to play with and try and help with your issue.

I guess simply try and provide as much info as possible, but make sure it clear and understandable and not informaiton overload.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Stuart!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Welcome aboard!

My first suggestion, to cover most of your questions, is to read this thread:

How to get your questions answered quickly 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Paul!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.