Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New "aggregations" feature at parent hierarchy levels

Hi, I'm working to understand the new "aggregations" feature in PBI desktop (and now the service). I completely understand how I can "omit" dimensions to summarize a fact table...but I'm a bit confused about how to still use a dimension but summarize to a non-leaf, parent hierarchy level.

For instance, in several of the videos, Christian Wade states that they are summarizing the fact table at the product sub-category level, which is a level above the detailed product level. From the screen shots, it's clear that they've snow-flaked the dimension - i.e. the product, product sub-categeory, and product category tables are all separate.

Is this a requirement for doing aggregations at non-leaf levels? I understand why it's desireable from a "there aren't repeating keys because the grain of the dimension table is too low"...but on the flip side, it also would prevent anyone from building a simple hierarchy on the dimension (can't build a product hierarchy if the different levels are in their own tables).

In my case, I want my aggregate table to store data at the month level instead of the day level. But I hate to split out separate tables to handle day level and month/qtr/year level, and then not be able to have a simple hierarchy to drill through to them.

Does anyone know a way to work around this?

Thanks,

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

Here are the documents for your reference. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-aggregations

https://prologika.com/a-first-look-at-power-bi-aggregations/

and for this is a new preview feature, you could submit a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin, appreciate the links, but neither of those talk to the proper way to set up summarization at non-leaf levels, while still allowing drills to happen. They don't really say it isn't possible - but the fact that they are showing snowflaked dimension tables for the product hierarchy is hinting at this.

Is there a definitive guide?

I find a lot of the Power BI documentation is extremely simple - it shows the most basic use cases, which is probably appropriate for many users. But if I need to really drill in on what is possible and what isn't, there doesn't seem to be much info to help - aggregations is one example of that.

Thanks!

Scott

Hi Scott,
DId you manage to solve this? I have the exact same problem and did not manage to find a proper solution / guideline.

Kr Jakob

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.