cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nilkaush Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: New line Characters

Hi,

How do you word wrap in long text viewer. Is there a special character that i can add to text data to make sure data is displayed in new line.

Highlighted
Brian_M
Advisor

Yes, you can add a custom string where you want the line break (I used "(LF)" but you can use anything) and then specify this under the Newline starts with option under Format > Text for the Long Text Viewer visual (Beta v.2) 

HHope that helps!

sdjensen Senior Member

Is there still no way to get Power BI visuals to handle line breaks?

I have tried with an Excel source. The Excel sheet consist of a single column with a header and one row. In this row I have made a text with a couple of line breaks and then loaded the sheet into a Power BI Desktop model (march 2017 version).

My row show with line breaks when viewing data in Query Editor. But when I add the column to my visuals the line breaks disapear (but however show in the popup when I hover the mouse over the value).

I have tried using Table, Multi-row Card, Matrix and Matrix preview but neither will show the line break.

I also tried creating a measure, but this didn't help much. I used this formular:

Comment_Meas = CONCATENATE( VALUES(Sheet1[Comment]); "")

Is there any other way to get Power BI to accept line breaks in a text measure??

/sdjensen
Brian_M
Advisor

Have you tried the same thing but with the preview version of the Table visual with word wrap enabled?

Brian_M
Advisor

I've just tried it myself, no luck sorry Smiley Sad

bullius Member

Hi @Vicky_Song,

I don't think this issue has been resolved. If it has, could you direct me to the solution?

I need to display an address like this:

Line 1

Line 2

City

Postcode

Instead of this:

Line 1, Line 2, City, Postcode

Thanks!

bschnabe Visitor
Visitor

I'm told this is available in the July 2017 release...

The Power BI Desktop July release has word wrap support e.g. Measure = "This is the first line" & UNICHAR(10) & "This is the second line".  Make sure you turn on word wrap for the grid/title for the visualization.  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-feature-summary-2/

Super User
Super User

Has anyone had any luck implementing this in the Card Visual ???

New Line Measure.gif

Super User
Super User

@Sean "Any luck" yes: bad luck Smiley LOL

It only seems to work with the matrix and table visuals.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
KellyDittmar Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@Sean - did you have to do something special to make Unichar work? I keep getting stuck with an invalid syntax error - but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.