Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

javedbh
Helper II
Helper II

New columns of table type after join

I have three tables (Company, Purchase, Sale) in sql server database. Parent/child relationships exist between them in sql server. I imported two of them (Company, Purchase) in power bi. Both tables imported successfully and power bi has linked them as well. When I go in “Edit Queries” form, I see two columns named “Purchase” and “Sale” in Company table but these columns don’t appear when I try to create a column or measure. Why they are there and how to use them?

usejointable.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You can only use them in the query-editor where you use the M-language.

In the table-view where you're using DAX you can only refer to columns with "single values" in them.

You can flatten Parent-Child-hierarchies in the query-editor using M like this: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/02/14/dynamically-flatten-parent-child-hierarchies-in-dax-and-pow...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @javedbh,

As ImkeF said, the table type can only analysis at query editor side, if you want to use them at report view, you need to expand them.

For example:
Right click to create a reference query, then click on the table which stored in the records to navigate to this table.

Then you can create the relationship at report view side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

You can only use them in the query-editor where you use the M-language.

In the table-view where you're using DAX you can only refer to columns with "single values" in them.

You can flatten Parent-Child-hierarchies in the query-editor using M like this: http://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/02/14/dynamically-flatten-parent-child-hierarchies-in-dax-and-pow...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.