Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

New columns in dataset and Automated Refresh

Still working through some newbie questions...

I currently use the Refresh function (button) in Power BI to update my dashboards on a daily basis.  The source is simply a .csv flat file in a network folder that is replaced daily.

I have updated the dataset to include an additional column, which upon Refresh is not represented in Power BI (but it is clearly there in the .csv / flat file).  Two questions:

1.  When expanding a source dataset to include more columns, how do I get Power BI to acknowledge and accept the change and include the expanded information...or do I need to rebuild from scratch?

2.  Since I move the flat file to a network folder, in Power BI how can I ping the network folder at a scheduled interval to look for and refresh the data?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

With CSV as source, you have to edit the source query to change the number of columns. PowerBI desktop does not automatically add the additional columns.

Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\yourfolder\yourfile.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=10, .....),

In the above example, you have to Change the columns to 11 for the new column to reflect.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
zebing2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Are you kidding me? I add columns ALL the time. I have to write some sort of code formula every time I refresh my data!!!

This is kind of a deal breaker, Microsoft. This switch from Tableau isn't being smooth sailing.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would open your original Power BI Desktop file, hit refresh there and then see if your columns show up. If they do, then you should be able to republish. As for your second question, I am not aware of any way that you can do that today. Would be a nifty thing to leverage Flow for but I do not believe Flow can kick off a refresh in Power BI just yet.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

This is the issue.  When I open the file, and refresh, the new column doesn't show up...

Thanks for any additional input.

With CSV as source, you have to edit the source query to change the number of columns. PowerBI desktop does not automatically add the additional columns.

Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\yourfolder\yourfile.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=10, .....),

In the above example, you have to Change the columns to 11 for the new column to reflect.

This post is old but not accurate. If [Columns] is not specified, Csv.Document will read whatever number of columns it finds in the input.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/csv-document

naiki_0-1678372176808.png

@ceebu

Thanks.  Worked perfectly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.