cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

New column with data from this time one month ago

Hi 

I have an OData feed from our construction software system which tracks our projects incl. budget, gp, cost etc. I need to track the variation in the GP from one month to the next. Can I add a column that returns the value of a field from this time one month ago? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @fwdatageek ,

We can use dax like edate(today(),-1) to get the date of previous month. Then we can get the filtered result based on that. 

If it doesn't meet your requirement,  kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive for Business and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

@fwdatageek 

You can use time intelligence and date calendar to get such measures

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))
last MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))))
last year MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH)))
last year MTD (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH))))
Month behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Month))
last QTR same Month (complete) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Qtr))))
MTD (Year End) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])))
MTD (Last Year End) Sales =  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-12,MONTH),"8/31")))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! YouTube Channel !! Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Sure, it will depend on your data. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Could always do something like SUMX(FILTER('Table',MONTH([Date]) = MONTH(EOMONTH(EARLIER([Date]),-1))),[Value])

This involves wild speculation on my part.

---------------------------------------

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Highlighted

Hi @fwdatageek ,

We can use dax like edate(today(),-1) to get the date of previous month. Then we can get the filtered result based on that. 

If it doesn't meet your requirement,  kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive for Business and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors