cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cparker4486 Member

New column in source table not appearing in dataset after refresh?

I found this post but it doesn't play out for me. http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/New-column-in-source-table-not-appearing-in-dataset-after/m-...

The only way I've been able to get new columns to appear is to change the Source line in the Advanced Editor. Specifically, I have to change the Columns value to reflect the current amount.

Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\source\file.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=12, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),

Is this the expected behavior or is it specific to CSV source type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Re: New column in source table not appearing in dataset after refresh?

Hi @cparker4486,

I will report this issue internally, and keep you update once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
13 REPLIES 13
Super User
Super User

@cparker4486 it depends which refresh you're doing. if you go to query editor in power bi desktop and then do refresh then your metadata changes will come throuh. if doing refresh via power bi desktop home screeen then only data is refreshed.

Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @cparker4486,

Based on my test, when we connect to CSV file in Power BI Desktop, the added column in a CSV file will not update whether we click Refresh button in Home page or Refresh Preview button in Query Editor. As you mentioned, we need to modify Columns value then the added column will display. In my opinion, Columns parameter limits the number of returned column from CSV file, if we added columns in CSV file, Columns parameter value needs to be modified as well to make new column display.

Also I have tested with SQL Server database, if we haven't written query to indicator which columns need to be returned(eg: select column1, column2 from table1), the new column will update after clicking Refresh or Refresh Preview button. I thinks the issue should be related to CSV data source itself, as each data source are defined differently in Power Query. You can take a look at Advanced Editor in Query Editor.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regrads,

Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
cparker4486 Member

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Then is this considered a bug and will be addressed at some point?

Thanks.

Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @cparker4486,

I will report this issue internally, and keep you update once I get any feedback.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

mr_101 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hey,

Is this issue reslove as i am getting the same issue?

rossgerber Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue

Highlighted
zebing2 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Did this ever got resolved? Not being able to refresh my data sources quickly when I am frequently changing columns is a major problem. My csv files aren't refreshing properly and I'm wondering if I need to go back to Tableau to get things done. 

Is there a fix for this yet?

about_blank Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

The problems are still there. (Power BI Desktop)

nickjtay1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I spoke with Microsoft Support and have a fix.

PBI Desktop doesn't recognize the new column for March that was added:

1.png

When you open the advanced editor, you will see that the original number of columns is defined:

1 adv.png

Remove the definition of the number of columns:

2 adv.png

When you click "Done" and return to the query editor the new column appears:

2.png