Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

New column for a streaming Dataset

Hi All,

I have a streaming dataset and a report built on top of it. The data definition for data set is as below:

1. TimeStamp (Type = DateTime).

2. ValueType (Type = Text).

3. Value (Type = Number).

I wish to add time (in hours, say 10 hrs) to the field TimeStamp and then display it in the report.

However, it appears, we cannot create a new column when the source for a report is an existing dataset (In this case, a streaming dataset). I am not sure if it is really feasible. Any insights to cater the scenario will be really helpful.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi anshul18,

Did this help you solve your issue? If so and if you'd like to, you could mark corresponding post as answer or share your solutions. That way, people who in this forum and have similar issue will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for your response. We actually wanted to create derived columns in PBI for which the source of data is streaming data set. We have recently learned, that this is actually not possible becasue creating a derived column will in effect require change in data set (PBI data set) - Which is not technically allowed.

Thanks again for taking out time and sharing your thoughts.

Regards

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi anshul18,

According to your description, did you mean you want to add a new column in stream dataset which exists in report? I test this in my environment, it will work well. You could add new rows in streaming dataset like below

77.png

Then you need to re-run the query in powershell. Then if you want to add new field in report, you might will get the error like below

78.png

You  need to click refresh(you might need to click many times) to get newest data, then it will show correctly

79.png

I use powershell  to get data, you could refer to Create a Power BI streaming dataset for real-time dashboards and demo-files/video demos/PowerShell/ for details

Best Regards,

Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.