Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mullz
Frequent Visitor

New column based on a text filter of single number but only the number next to a keyword :/

HI all,

Not sure if this is possible but I have a raft of projects getting pulled in from project for the web:

MFA - Workstream 1 (DPG3-SW021)

ITSM SD system (DPG1-PR012)
AV Work - Workstream 1 (DPG1-PR020)

I need to extract what programme this work is in so the number after the DPG can be 1/2/3/4 which corresponds to different programmes.

I've tried using Filter but I don't think that's what I need as that's only returning true/false which wont help if I want a column which has Programme 1/2/3/4

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mullz
Frequent Visitor

This is resolved, just doing more digging in power query and found the 'Extract' function and also the 'Replace values' function to also change 'DPG1' to the actual programme name!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mullz
Frequent Visitor

This is resolved, just doing more digging in power query and found the 'Extract' function and also the 'Replace values' function to also change 'DPG1' to the actual programme name!

Adescrit
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

There are probably a few ways to do this. One could be in Power Query - Split the column by delimiter "DPG" to create a new column containing your project number.

Alternatively create a calculated column in your table, and use this new column as a filter. DAX for the calculated column to return the project number:

Project Number = 
VAR __Start =  FIND("DPG",'Work'[Projects])
VAR __Number = VALUE( MID( 'Work'[Projects], __Start + 3, 1))
RETURN
    __Number

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
My LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.