Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arklur
Resolver II
Resolver II

New (calculated) column: SQL Query or DAX? (Performance)

What's the best partice for adding a new (calculated) column to a source? Calculate the column in the SQL Query, or add the column later with DAX?

Let's say I would like to create a new column, which is basically just a flag. If the status of the order is "COMPLETED", then 1, else 0. Should I modify my query and add the column there, or use DAX for it?

1 REPLY 1
stretcharm
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I've you've got large datasets then it can provide better compression if it's a SQL column/expression over a DAX column.

If you can add as a DAX measure then it's not going store any data and calculated when needed.

However measure cannot be used for slicers.

There is a 3rd option add the Competed state in M (Query editor).  Not sure if this is better or worse than in SQL.

My preference is SQL, M, DAX Measure then DAX calculated column.

I also find SQL is easier to manage change than lots of DAX columns.

Here is an post on the storage.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/storage-differences-between-calculated-columns-and-calculated-tables/

And another one which recomends avoiding calculated columns.

https://powerpivotpro.com/2014/10/5-common-mistakes-made-by-self-taught-dax-students/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.