Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Web Scraping experience - December 2018 Update

Hi, 

I saw a YT video showing the powerful tool: New web scraping experience that was released in the May 2018 update. 

It enabled the user to scrape data from the web, but in a very clever way where PowerBI Desktop actually showed the website whilst importing the data, and it was possible to highlight the words to mine from the website. See screenshot attached. Foto1.PNGFoto2.PNG

The screenshots are from the following YT video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztZ1hLo_Gw (How to get data from a web page - by Nathan Patrick Taylor

I just updated my Power BI to December version and the tool doesnt seem to be availbale anymore. Is there any replacement that is as powerful (to "learn" what words I want to mine from the website)?

Many thanks for your help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It is no longer a Preview feature. Add a Web data source and use the "Add table using examples" down in the lower left. See image:

image.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It is no longer a Preview feature. Add a Web data source and use the "Add table using examples" down in the lower left. See image:

image.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. 

Cheers!

Hi @Anonymous  @Greg_Deckler 

Do you have an issue with the refresh from Power BI Service when using Web from example? It seems not working on my side.

Thank you,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having an issue while refreshing yahoo finance data through Power BI service. The refresh is not working for me. Do you have any inputs?

Thanks

Varun Devaraj

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually havent looked into that, I needed to scrape data for a single-use application. It would be interesting to test it. I am sorry I cannot be of more help. Good luck!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.