Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New User - Data management Question

Hello Expert

I am trying to convert by large excel files into Power BI data sets and I have a question on Data Management. I currently have all my data (Sales, COGS, Assets liabilites, Operating expenses, customers, vendors, products, departments) in one large data table and various small look up tables. Should i break up the large table into say - P&L, BalanceSheet or break it down further - say Revenue Table, cost Table, Opex Table. 

I also have the forecast/actual/budget also in the same table...see my columns below

AccountDepartmentProductMonthEndCustomerIdScenarioAmount

The reason is ask is....can i create a measure for Gross profit from one large table or do i create different tables for Revenue and COGS and merge them. This also kind of helps me to stop the interaction and leave a chart alone and add another chart with out affecting the first one. For example I want to show - Gross Profit for the entire company in a Card and Sales for only one division in another card. Getting this seems impossible to me in Power BI

Thanks and appreciate anybody having patience to go through my question. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may just try a modified filter context.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may just try a modified filter context.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.